• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Can we have our commission back please mister...."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Can we have our commission back please mister...."

When I took my current contract the kindly [sic] agency gave me a % of their commission (it's a fixed rate PSL) to sweeten the deal.

Now into the 2nd year and the PSL terms have reduced their %, so they're saying that it's no longer worth their while to hold the contract, and are requesting I relinquish some of what they gave me....

Assuming I refuse, they will make about £100/week out of me. This seems like a reasonable amount just to shuffle some paper about, I organised the renewal myself.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    When I took my current contract the kindly [sic] agency gave me a % of their commission (it's a fixed rate PSL) to sweeten the deal.

Now into the 2nd year and the PSL terms have reduced their %, so they're saying that it's no longer worth their while to hold the contract, and are requesting I relinquish some of what they gave me....

Assuming I refuse, they will make about £100/week out of me. This seems like a reasonable amount just to shuffle some paper about, I organised the renewal myself.

Thoughts?
    If factors outside your control have made it not worth their while to hold the contract, the decent thing to do would be to release you to go direct.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      If factors outside your control have made it not worth their while to hold the contract, the decent thing to do would be to release you to go direct.
      In theory, it would be great. Unfortunately clientco aren't interested in a direct relationship.

Going to another agency won't work either as they're all on the same PSL terms.

Just wondered if anyone knew how much work the agency actually DOES behind the scenes.

Comment

Depends.

£100 a week is better than nowt. But depends on your day rate.

If your on £500 a day then factoring £10k for maybe up 3 months might seem to make £400 not seem that much.

Intrest could take £150 of that from them (oppotunity cost). So £250 a month - they'd probably bulk at that.

How much are they asking you to give up?

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
          ...Just wondered if anyone knew how much work the agency actually DOES behind the scenes.
          Once you're in place - not much. But getting you in place is what takes the time, money and effort.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Might be reading too much into this, but is it possible that they have someone else lined up ?
            If they get someone else in, their % goes up to new starter, plus they dont have to shave their commission

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              How much are they asking you to give up?
              30 squids/day potentially.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Might be reading too much into this, but is it possible that they have someone else lined up ?
                If they get someone else in, their % goes up to new starter, plus they dont have to shave their commission
                Interesting point, but no, I'm not lined up to be replaced AFAIK.

However, clientco are planning on replacing contractors with permies over the medium term, so this might be the last gig with them for a while.

Comment

Working...
                X