• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sharing files from Mac to Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing files from Mac to Vista

I've been trying to share some files from my Mac (Leopard) to a laptop running Vista, but whatever way I've tried it, it just doesn't seem to be working.

I think the last way was to create an account on the Mac with the same username\password as the windows account - didn't work!

Anyone got a sure-fired way of setting this up! I'm getting heat from my wife as she wants to access some photos on the Mac from her lappy!

I tried to do this a while ago now but using a USB drive. The problem was the USB drive was formatted to NTFS which the MAC wouldn't read, after converting it to FAT32 I could then pass files from Mac to PC no problem.

HTH

Comment

Ah it's a common problem, the solution is to get a new wife; some of the people on here can advise!

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=...+Vista+Leopard
      B00med!

Comment

System Preferences > Sharing

On the Services tab, enable Windows Sharing and ensure the relevant account is enabled. Oh, and make sure said account has access to the relevant folder.

EDIT: Ah, looks like it's changed its name to "File Sharing" on Leopard - sorry, I'm still on Tiger
        Last edited by NickFitz; 24 November 2008, 14:43.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          System Preferences > Sharing

On the Services tab, enable Windows Sharing and ensure the relevant account is enabled. Oh, and make sure said account has access to the relevant folder.
          Then (this works in XP - don't know about Vista), to make sure everything stays the way you want it, map a network drive to the mac and set the "connect using a different user name" fields to something the mac will allow sharing with.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I had another go last night & got a little further:

- Created a new account on Mac with same username\password as on Vista
            - Shared out the folder (including SMB rights for new account)

After a little messing about on Vista, the share was accessible!

However, then I hit the next hurdle. I can access the share folder okay & I see the contents, but I can't access the subfolders - "computer says NO".

When I went back to the Mac & shared out one of the subfolders, I could then access it from Vista. It is impractical though to share out all the subfolders.

I had a quick look online & it appears to be an issue with Mac & subfolders not inheriting share permissions. I found a utility called Sandbox which is supposed to assist in correcting this, but so far I haven't been able to get the subfolders to inherit the parent permissions.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X