• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan b - buying a pub

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan b - buying a pub

One word. Don't

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7742539.stm

Wasn't it someone here tempted to buy a pub/restaurant?

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Wasn't it someone here tempted to buy a pub/restaurant?

Correct

They were then told by every poster and his virtual dog to not do it under any circumstances
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Booze sales have never been higher but most folk are just sitting in their houses getting tanked up on cheap lager from ASDA these days. Local pub charges 3.30 for a pint of stella but my local off sales charges 5 quid for 6 cans. It's probably cheaper down at the supermarket. If you are short of a few quid then there is no option if you want a few drinks on a Friday,

Pubs should be given massive tax breaks and that should be offset by charges on off sales

Comment

Know someone who bought a wine bar in central london a couple of years ago, basically sold house for a decent profit near the top and put half into buying the bar.

Had a look on companies house to see how he was doing:

The accounts can be summarised something like this:

200K a year in sales.
        70K cost of sales.

So 130K gross profits.

The rent and rates were 80K. Wages bill 50K. Electric and gas 7K. Accountant 2K.. Credit card charges 5K. Advertising... you get the idea.

He is working his ass off and making a loss according to the books. I only hope he is fiddling the books and pocketing some hidden turnover...

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Booze sales have never been higher but most folk are just sitting in their houses getting tanked up on cheap lager from ASDA these days. Local pub charges 3.30 for a pint of stella but my local off sales charges 5 quid for 6 cans. It's probably cheaper down at the supermarket. If you are short of a few quid then there is no option if you want a few drinks on a Friday,
          Cheap imported beer and the banning of smoking in pubs have contributed to making people stay at home to drink. The drink is cheap, you can still invite your mates, you can see the footy on your plasma TV, and you'll always get a good seat.
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

A few years ago if you could buy a pub then turn it into a house it was a nice little earner. Even that avenue now seems closed.......

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Pubs should be given massive tax breaks and that should be offset by charges on off sales
              Bagpuss is just sitting in his bedsit

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Condor View Post

He is working his ass off and making a loss according to the books. I only hope he is fiddling the books and pocketing some hidden turnover...
                ...sh@gging like a rabbit

Comment

My local boozer would make quite a swish house I must say, small hotel attached which is only kept open from the profits of the bar. Used to be a maternity hospital and Gordon Brown was born in there. The place cannot be doing well now and it's the only pub for a mile. Only OK pub for about 3 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                    Bagpuss is just sitting in his bedsit
                    Present tense should be seated ya doughball.

Comment

Working...
                    X