• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to beat the 45% income tax...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to beat the 45% income tax...

...taken from the Sunday Times "money" supplement 23/11/08.

Lord Paul of Marylebone is founder and chairman of Caparo Group, a British based global steel manufacturing and engineering company.

When asked what property he owns, Lord Paul tells us he owns his flat in Portman Place in central London worth £900k and a country house in Beaconsfield that he bought three-and-a-half years ago for £6.5million.

He was asked "What are your views on tax?"

His reply was...
    I am a non-dom, I've never hidden the fact. I'm happy to pay the £30,000 annual fee - I don't think I have much choice. I think it's a reasonable settlement.

In my view, the whole non-domicile issue was taken out of proportion and I just hope it doesn't damage UK business.

Most of my money - around 65% - is in the UK, but I also have parts of the business in the US, Spain, India and Canada.
    That's the answer chaps, non-dom and pay £30k!
    Last edited by Churchill; 25 November 2008, 09:41.

Seems fair to me.
    If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Comment

Seeing as I can't break out of the £300 a day band this isn't going to be an issue for me. How lucky am I?
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Seeing as I can't break out of the £300 a day band this isn't going to be an issue for me. How lucky am I?
        Double shift 365 days a year and you're sorted.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I guess it would be a good start if you actually earned £150k!

Mailman

Comment

Ok, how much tax & NI is due on a salary of £100k?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Ok, how much tax & NI is due on a salary of £100k?
              Plenty. Ask an accountant.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Tax £31,080
                EENIC £3,912
                ERNIC £12,800

Comment

Working...
                X