• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT rate cut - will you be passing it on to clients?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT rate cut - will you be passing it on to clients?

So VAT is getting slashed to 15%, and our flat rate will be going to 11.5%....which means for someone who normally earns £400 per day (and works an average of 23 days per month)...

Used to invoice for: -
    23 x 400 x 1.175 = £10,810
    minus 13% VAT = 1,405.30

= £9,404.70

Now: -
    23 x 400 x 1.15 = £10,580
    minus 11.5% VAT = 1,216.7

= £9,363.30

So will you be passing this saving of "-£41.40" on to your client, like the government says you should?

And if you dont, how will you morally live with yourself?!!!
    Yes - it's my moral duty to society.
    50.00%
    Dont be ridiculous, I'm a Tory and dont give a t*ss about anyone other than myself.
    25.00%
    I'll donate it to the Save AndyW campaign.
    25.00%
    Last edited by SallyAnne; 25 November 2008, 10:42. Reason: Thankfully we had Bagpuss around to point out a 0.5% miscalculation, otherwise I just dont know what I would have done.
    The pope is a tard.

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    So VAT is getting slashed to 15%, and our flat rate will be going to 11.5%....which means for someone who normally earns £400 per day (and works an average of 23 days per month)...

minus 13.5% VAT = 1,459.35

= £9,350.67

minus 11.5% VAT = 1,216.7

= £9,363.30

So will you be passing this saving of -£12.63 on to your client, like the government says you should?

I think I preferred it before you edited.......

Comment

minus 13.5% VAT = 1,459.35

= £9,350.67

minus 10.5% VAT = 1,110.9

= £9,469.10

So will you be passing this saving of £118.43 on to your client, like the government says you should?

Sorry, you've lost me there.

I invoice at 17.5% and will now invoice at 15% is that not right?

The accountant works out the Flat rate stuff and currently I forward 13% to HMRC but will now forward 11.5% - tell me if I'm wrong, but I think it's me that's out of pocket.
      Blood in your poo

Comment

I think I'll survive. And who invoices 23 days a month on average? Do you work 6 days a week?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

At this rate, I'll probably be out of work until they put the rate back up, so I'm not too fussed.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            Sorry, you've lost me there.

I invoice at 17.5% and will now invoice at 15% is that not right?

The accountant works out the Flat rate stuff and currently I forward 13% to HMRC but will now forward 11.5% - tell me if I'm wrong.
            You are right - but as per SallyAnne's calculation, your Ltd Co will retain less than before. Will you pass that on to the client?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I think I preferred it before you edited.......
              yeah I know - I got my sums wrong
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                You are right - but as per SallyAnne's calculation, your Ltd Co will retain less than before. Will you pass that on to the client?
                What do you think?
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Sally, There is no saving, you lose out. FRS for most IT is 13% not 13.5%.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Sally, There is no saving, you lose out. FRS for most IT is 13% not 13.5%.
                    SallyAnne said

will you be passing this saving of -£12.63 on to your client

Comment

Working...
                    X