• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Momentous day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Momentous day

As Robert Peston says:
    This pre-Budget report symbolises a massive structural change in the British economy.
    These are the first seriously redistributive tax changes since the 1970s.
    More to come. Lots more.

I'm sharpening my scythe as we speak, just so I'm ready for when the collective farms open...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Apparently there's a rumour going round Westminster that Alistair Darling is on the verge of a nervous breakdown. He was late for a Breakfast TV interview this morning, and looked pretty grim when he arrived.

Mind you, one can't believe everything one hears, and maybe he'd just had a late night and been stuck in traffic.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Apparently there's a rumour going round Westminster that Alistair Darling is on the verge of a nervous breakdown. He was late for a Breakfast TV interview this morning, and looked pretty grim when he arrived.

Mind you, one can't believe everything one hears, and maybe he'd just had a late night and been stuck in traffic.
        Why should he care? He inherited the mess. He should stick to blaming Gordon.

Comment

This really is a momentous day, it is the day New Labour was buried.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            This really is a momentous day, it is the day New Labour was buried.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              I suspect he means that New Labour is buried, Old Labour arises Zombie like from the grave to eat all our brains kind of thing.
              Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                I suspect he means that New Labour is buried, Old Labour arises
                That's it. Expect more redistribution of your wealth in the near future. We're done with this pandering to the middle classes.

Comment

Yup, Putting in the application to either Australia or Canada (for the wife) soon. Their tax regimes will be less than ours by 2011. So I'll take the cuts now and scoot with the cash.

Some par of me thinks millions of other are thinking the same.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                    Yup, Putting in the application to either Australia or Canada (for the wife) soon. Their tax regimes will be less than ours by 2011. So I'll take the cuts now and scoot with the cash.

Some par of me thinks millions of other are thinking the same.
                    I suspect you're right, but isn't it much harder to get into these countries now, and doesn't the whole process take ages?

Comment

Working...
                    X