• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Food Shortages..WWYD ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Shortages..WWYD ?

Ok, the scenario is thus...

For whatever reason, the shops are out of food, there is a worldwide crisis, the cupboard are bare, etc.

There is no immediate hope for sustenance, so you need to resort to deperate measures.

Do you get the knives and forks ready and chow down on :
    Family Pets
    20.93%
    Extended Family (old 'uns first)
    6.98%
    Strangers
    13.95%
    Scavenge in the Woods with a Field Survival Guide
    55.81%
    Starve to Death
    2.33%
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

I'd kill Andyw and eat him.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Fortunately the looming financial crisis will occur during a period of energy plenty in the form of fossil fuel reserves and rate of their extraction (the latter increasing exponentially), so it's just a numbers crash this time and no-one need starve, it's just a sharing game - something money is useful for. We should therefore make the most of this time of plenty and take the opportunity to breed like rabbits, or otherwise increase our population to new levels by any means possible, even importing. You know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        he's a robot

http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/andyw.html
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I already get all my mushrooms from the woods, and most vegetables from the garden. Anything I can't grow I don't really need to survive.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Forgot to mention that the poll should not be an either-or. One should not artificially limit ones options in a survival situation. That list would be more a gradation, i.e. scavange in the woods, but if protein was short then family pets, guinea pigs would stay around for quite a while as they make new protein quite regularly for quite little imput, and last to go would be the dogs as they help catch rabbits and hares etc.. but I really doubt it would get that bad unless my position was over-run and my stocks stolen or ruined.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              Which should have been an option in the poll!!
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

None of the above. Genetic Modification will prevent this becoming a problem. We can grow as much food as we want. No one on the planet need ever be hungry again. Except of course the over-intellectualising, idealistic Guardianista's use politics to prevent it.

Shame on them.
                When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Well, I have a garden which can quickly be sowed with spuds and other veg, and along with a couple of mates I have the skills to produce a fair bit of food. I can shoot and I live near the woods where there are plenty of rabbits, deer, squirrels and pheasants all waiting to be gobbled up in my household; the rabbits can be shot without a permit and the pheasants are easily attracted into the garden where they’re for me. Wood pigeons are plentiful and quite tasty. The local river is well stocked with trout. My girlfriend’s family are nearly all farmers and she owns a patch of land that’s hired out to a dairy farmer; the rent would not be going down . I’m not scared of starving. In fact, I think if there are massive food shortages, assuming we can defend ourselves, we could probably get quite rich.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
                    None of the above. Genetic Modification will prevent this becoming a problem. We can grow as much food as we want. No one on the planet need ever be hungry again. Except of course the over-intellectualising, idealistic Guardianista's use politics to prevent it.

Shame on them.
                    Nope, photosynthesis is inefficient and GM does not change that. Britain cannot feed itself, unless we burn oil to power lights and grow food in 3 dimensions.

Comment

Working...
                    X