• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank account in process of being set up. Help Please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank account in process of being set up. Help Please?

I now find out that i can not apply for VAT untill my bank account is set up.

Potentially starting a new contract tomorrow and will be invoicing at end of the month.
    Can i still use the lines:
    VAT Registration Pending.

Seperate VAT Invoice to follow upon Registration.
    On my invoices even though i have yet to apply?
    Also would i invoice say £100 or £117.5?
    Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Originally posted by pleomax View Post

Potentially starting a new contract tomorrow and will be invoicing at end of the month.

This has been covered before. You should search the forum for an answer.

But to save you time..... on the first invoice you charge them the amount withouth the VAT added and state on the Invoice that VAT Registration Pending. Let the client / agency know before you raise the invoice to make sure they are ok with this.

Alternatively.. speak to an accountant.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thank you, I was looking for confirmation that I had understood more than anything.

Pleomax
      Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

I did this late September with any issues.

Comment

Thank you, I was looking for confirmation that I had understood more than anything.

Pleomax
          You may need to state on the invoice "VAT to follow in next invoice" to make it clear. But as I said, search the forum for the correct wording. The answer is out there.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            You may need to state on the invoice "VAT to follow in next invoice" to make it clear. But as I said, search the forum for the correct wording. The answer is out there.
            I wouldn't say when it is coming - unless you know from the VAT office when your registration is going to come through.

"VAT registration pending" is all you need to put where you would normally put the VAT number, but it doesn't hurt to explain to the agent that this is what you are doing so that they are expecting it.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Remember on your invoice to charge for the VAT Inclusive amount. You should charge 15% VAT, unless your VAT Certificate comes before Monday.

No VAT Number? No Problem
              But the result of all this is that you may have to wait a long time before you get your VAT registration number. What do you do in the meantime?
              As the Revenue points out, you should be aware that you are required to account for and pay any VAT due from the date you are liable to be registered, not just from the date you apply for registration or from when you receive your certificate.
              Here's what you do: although you cannot charge VAT before you are registered or show VAT as a separate item on any invoices you issue, you can change your prices to include VAT. You can do this from the date you should be registered and before you receive your Certificate of Registration. Obviously you will need to explain this to the agency or client you work with!
              You will need to explain to your customers that you will be sending them VAT invoices later. Once you have your registration number you should send them VAT-only invoices referring to the numbers on the invoices 'for invoice no. 3, VAT included was (x) pounds.'
              Just include the VAT in your prices and invoice separately for it later

Comment

Working...
              X