• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Age discrimination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age discrimination

A WOMAN has made up to £100,000 by accusing 22 companies of ageism.

Margaret Keane applied for jobs as a chartered accountant at firms asking for "recently qualified" staff but when she did not get called for an interview, she launched age discrimination claims.

Twelve of the businesses she targeted made out-of-court payments of between £4,000 and £10,000 each, despite the fact that the 50-year-old's CV was littered with spelling mistakes and did not include her date of birth.

But five then decided to go to an employment tribunal which yesterday ruled that she was a "not a bona fide job applicant, but a serial litigator" purely seeking compensation. The firms are each demanding she pays them more than £10,000 in costs.

Despite the setback, Miss Keane is taking a further 10 companies to court.

Barrister Peter Linstead, representing some of the firms, said Miss Keane from Harrow, was taking advantage of European age discrimination laws introduced in 2006. Many employers challenged with discrimination cases of this nature fear huge legal costs and cave in.

He told the tribunal: "The evidence suggests she made these applications with the sole intention of bringing a claim, not doing the job."

Miss Keane, who qualified as a chartered accountant in 1991 and once had a £75,000-a-year job with HSBC, did not clarify why she had applied for positions aimed at people with little or no experience. But she claimed she had not been considered for the roles she applied for simply because of her age.

"All these agencies use words in their advertisements like 'newly qualified', 'entry level role' and 'high-calibre candidate', I believe to attract younger and exclude older candidates," she added. Her campaign began on 4 May last year when she applied by email for posts, offering up to £60,000-a-year salaries, advertised through 10 recruitment agencies.

She waited two weeks before telephoning the agencies and demanding to know why she had not got the job. She then began actions for damages through the Watford Employment Tribunal. Days after the first wave, she applied for jobs through another 11 employment agencies, again swiftly making follow up calls and launching more claims for age discrimination, this time through the London Central tribunal.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ias/article.do
    Cats are evil.

I hope she gets taken for costs.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      CV ... did not include her date of birth.
      Requoted to emphasise the pure silliness of it all.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

do prisons have a naughty corner?

Comment

I hope she wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
            I hope she wins.
            You old git
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I blame the employment tribunal. Also companies have no spine and cave in rather than face her in court. They should sue her for fraud.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

I could use some extra cash...hmmmmm
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  the 50-year-old's CV was littered with spelling mistakes and did not include her date of birth.
                  The first fact is a good reason to turn her down, but the second isn't.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    The first fact is a good reason to turn her down, but the second isn't.
                    Isn't the point that if her date of birth was omitted then how could the clients have age-discriminated against her, as they didn't know her age?
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X