• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the government print money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On CNN some commentator reckoned that hyperinflation in the US was a distinct possibility. Then today I read this.

Should the UK print money

In the 1930's Germany printed money to get things moving and caused hyperinflation, but this time it's different.

discuss.
    I'm alright Jack

No, just live with the devaluation and deal with it. Things will turn round eventually.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The Chinese work on fixed exchange rates, so on one hand it might be a neat idea, but I don't think the Chinese Government will hold onto the notion for long if their debtors started just printing money to pay them off.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        On CNN some commentator reckoned that hyperinflation in the US was a distinct possibility. Then today I read this.

Should the UK print money

In the 1930's Germany printed money to get things moving and caused hyperinflation, but this time it's different.

discuss.
        Bernanke recently cited Milton friedman's "throwing money from helicopters" if deflation threatened.... linky

I'd rather they threw half the UK cabinet out instead, frankly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
          Bernanke recently cited Milton friedman's "throwing money from helicopters" if deflation threatened.... linky

I'd rather they threw half the UK cabinet out instead, frankly.

Only half?

Comment

Tensai,

that's not the first time he's quoted this, hence the nickname,

Helicopter Ben

Milan.

Comment

Won't hyperinflation mean I can pay my mortgage off for the price of a loaf of bread?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                Won't hyperinflation mean I can pay my mortgage off for the price of a loaf of bread?
                Yes. But there wont be any bread left to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Or as Neil on the 'Young Ones' said: We haven't got any bread, because we haven't got any breeeeaadd. I can't do impersonations.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Nevermind, I've got a wheat intolerance anyway.
                    Cool. Free house.

Comment

Working...
                    X