• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I have some Scottish friends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some Scottish friends

Well I say "friends", they love me but I secretly hate their haggis eating gutts .

Anyway, they reckon William Wallace was

a) an uphill gardener

and

b) A thief and a tramp that nobody really liked.

What is the truth about this great freedom fighter?

The truth is that he kicked the living sh*t out of the numerically superior English invaders until some weasely traitor turned him in. The Scots then had to wait the best part of 15 years before kicking the sh*t out of the numerically superior English invaders again.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

yep. those were tough, those 15 years. known as 'the dour fifteen years'. it was a pleasure to finally welcome our English neighbours to the dining table once more.

Comment

http://www.firstfoot.com/scotchmyth/williamwallace.htm

Braveheart, the movie, fully deserves its place in the annals of Scottish myth.

Sorry, but in truth William Wallace was a complete and utter bastard of the first degree.

Sure, he rallied the people to arms and gave old Eddie Longshanks and his boys a whipping or two, but history shows that, far from the Super-Mel Freedom Fighter portrayed on screen, he was a tyrant who lived and ruled, perhaps by necessity, by the law of terror.

Beatings, executions and harsh reprisals, often exterminating entire villages, were common weapons in Wallace's War to win the hearts and minds of his fellow Scots.

In a modern scenario he would most certainly be labelled by the UN as a terrorist and would probably get bombed to buggery.

Another bloody terrorist!

Comment

a complete and utter bastard of the first degree.
          Exactly the sort of person you want if you are going to win anything. No sense going into battle with a "Dale Winton" in command is there?
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

You seem to know quite a bit Prawn, could you tell me if this sounds true...

I heard that when the English captured Wallace, longshanks got sunk to the nuts up him.

the truth?

Comment

i think you'll find that the villages in question were english villages, so that was ok. besides, it was only a wee bit of reprisal for the tyranny endured further north.

Comment

They can take our lives but they can never take our freedom!

One for HH&Hto drool over.

Comment

These Jocks also told me that if Walace had have stopped at York then he would have taken control and that's where the Scottish border would have been today.

I can understand why he pushed on though, there is f**kall North of Hull worth having

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

They can take our lives but they can never take our Winton!

One for HH&Hto drool over.
                    I'd bum him

Comment

Working...
                    X