• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 weeks in hand...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 weeks in hand...

hi guys,

i've been offered a role and the agency are agreeing to pay weekly. but they have told me that they can only start paying after 3 weeks. that sucks i feel... why would they do that, interest accrual? i guess it adds up to a lot of you do it to x amount of people...

anyhow, what are the chances that i could get them to pay after one week if i say i won't take the contract unless that's the case. (they are a big well-known agency). i've also said i want paying after one week and they said that wasn't possible... v. annoying as i pretty much need the cash coming up to christmas!

please replay asap, as i want to decide what to do as soon as i can!

Originally posted by catboy View Post
    hi guys,

i've been offered a role and the agency are agreeing to pay weekly. but they have told me that they can only start paying after 3 weeks. that sucks i feel... why would they do that, interest accrual? i guess it adds up to a lot of you do it to x amount of people...

anyhow, what are the chances that i could get them to pay after one week if i say i won't take the contract unless that's the case. (they are a big well-known agency). i've also said i want paying after one week and they said that wasn't possible... v. annoying as i pretty much need the cash coming up to christmas!

We pay one week on receipt of invoice so I see no reason why they could not do the same, pretty much should be standard practice in this day and age.
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by catboy View Post
      hi guys,

which agency ?
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Depends how badly you want the gig - I get paid monthly and am lucky if I get the cash within 30 days, but I knew that when I started this game.

Comment

Have they said why? Is it to hold on to you on case you walk?
          Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

I had that with Alexander Mann - payment 28 days after receipt of correct invoice.
            But if they felt there was a problem with the invoice they took 2 weeks to tell you and It was always a problem that they had created!

In the end I had to get my client to intervene as I was owed a lot and they kept getting it wrong.

Whinge over
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Depends how badly you want the gig - I get paid monthly and am lucky if I get the cash within 30 days, but I knew that when I started this game.
              that is crazy! Id never agree to that! Most Ive had is a week

Those that hold on to your money for 4 weeks are collectively earning interest on YOUR money - yet again these waste of space agencies up to their tricks

Comment

Essentially, it sounds like you are on 21 day terms. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me - my first contract paid monthly but on 30 day terms, so I had no income for that first month but still got paid every week once I'd left the gig which was nice.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post

Those that hold on to your money for 4 weeks are collectively earning interest on YOUR money - yet again these waste of space agencies up to their tricks
                  Sorry I didn't explain that very well - my pimp only gets paid monthly so he's not making cash out of that. In your case (OP) it depends how much you want the gig vs not taking it - if you don't need the gig, tell 'em you'll walk unless they pay sooner - otherwise you could ask nicely and just have to accept it if they say no. If you're expecting everyone to play fair, you maybe aren't cut out for contracting

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post

how can they get interest on OUR money ? that assumes that they get paid by the client immediately, then pay us later. They dont.
                    Even if they pay us late, they themselves get paid a lot later.

imo, the big risk here is the agency going under, or performing some other rip off. I would like to know which agency

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X