• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

only in the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only in the US

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7749474.stm
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

"Being a single mum, I can't imagine not having a gun for home protection because that makes me a more confident parent, knowing that if someone intrudes into my home I know exactly what to do and my son knows what I'm going to do. I'm going to shoot to kill."

hopefully "you wont get me nor jimmny-bob"
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      "Being a single mum, I can't imagine not having a gun for home protection because that makes me a more confident parent, knowing that if someone intrudes into my home I know exactly what to do and my son knows what I'm going to do. I'm going to shoot to kill."

We don't need that kind of stuff here in Britain. Here, if a single mum and child are menaced by an intruder, they only have to call the police, and if it's during working hours and they answer in time, she can get a Crime Number.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

I believe statistically, she and Jimmy-Bob are more likely to be shot because she owns a gun, by a big margin. Not to mention the intruders she's expecting to blow away must be pretty dumb if they don't also carry guns.

Comment

Personally I think it should be the law that everyone over 18 has to carry a loaded handgun at all times.

Job done.
          When money ceases to be the tool by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice - Ayn Rand, Atlas.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post
            Personally I think it should be the law that everyone over 18 has to carry a loaded handgun at all times.

Job done.
            But only in the States - Let them shoot each other all day long
            Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

I was thinking of getting a taser. I could practice on the cat while the missus is at work.

set tasers to stun. aye captain.

yeeess , must get me one

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                We don't need that kind of stuff here in Britain. Here, if a single mum and child are menaced by an intruder, they only have to call the police, and if it's during working hours and they answer in time, she can get a Crime Number.

Post of the day
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I believe statistically, she and Jimmy-Bob are more likely to be shot because she owns a gun, by a big margin. Not to mention the intruders she's expecting to blow away must be pretty dumb if they don't also carry guns.
                  Statistics: there is a correlation between:
                  - owning a gun
                  - thinking that you need to own one
                  - actually being right, you need to own one (location, situation, etc)
                  - being shot.
                  That's not a chain that you break by opting out of owning a gun yourself.

I agree with your other point: that's why I didn't keep a gun under the pillow when I lived in New York.
                  Scenario 1: intruder in apartment. He's armed, I'm not. Result: I do whatever he says.
                  Scenario 2: intruder in apartment. He's armed, I wake up and reach groggily for my firearm. Result: he shoots me.

Comment

Originally posted by deano View Post

Job done.
                    And, presumably, a baseball bat in case the gun jams.

Comment

Working...
                    X