• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple ad banned again for dishonesty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple ad banned again for dishonesty

Apple's iphone ad says it's really fast, and showed a series of tasks being accomplished within the 30-second ad. But these wer simulations, it does not reall go that fast.

PC Pro did a test:

The results are quite clear; the advert shows the tasks taking just 29 seconds to complete, while our test showed that it actually takes almost five times as long, at two minutes and 21 seconds.
    And Apple think that is OK as a piece of advertising?

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Apple's iphone ad says it's really fast, and showed a series of tasks being accomplished within the 30-second ad. But these wer simulations, it does not reall go that fast.

PC Pro did a test:

Did you type that on an iPhone? You seem to have missed out a few letters.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
      Did you type that on an iPhone? You seem to have missed out a few letters.
      An Agent called me while I was typing it, and I was so excited I almost wet myself.

Comment

I recall seeing that ad and thinking it was a tad optimistic - there was a disclaimer at end though, something like "this ad is bollocks but as the phone only sells to fashion victims we don't need to worry" I think that was it - it flashed up so quick

Comment

I don't get all the fuss about this advert. A technology advert is usually designed to show what the technology can do, but it has to do it in a short time. A washing machine advert will show someone putting their whites into the machine and then taking them out again about two seconds later. An advert for a sandwich maker will show two slices of bread, a bit of cheese and ta-dah a toasted sandwich. What deceit.

I don't even have an iPod myself (have a Creative Zen instead) but I have to say that the iPhones I've seen friends using are lightyears ahead of any other mobile device. A short wait for a web page to load doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me, especially considering all the other things it can do.

Any disappointed iPhone 3G owners wanting to sell at a bargain price?

Comment

Oh noes ! Culd it b teh Applez r rotten ?

No wai !

Applez is like uber-kewl toyz 4 funk an hip peeps and u cant dis teh Apple cuz Apple iz alwais rite.

Posted by an Apple fan.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

An Agent called me while I was typing it, and I was so excited I almost wet myself.
              I hope you gave the obligatory 2 references in keeping with compliance

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
              I don't get all the fuss about this advert. A technology advert is usually designed to show what the technology can do, but it has to do it in a short time. A washing machine advert will show someone putting their whites into the machine and then taking them out again about two seconds later. An advert for a sandwich maker will show two slices of bread, a bit of cheese and ta-dah a toasted sandwich. What deceit.

I don't even have an iPod myself (have a Creative Zen instead) but I have to say that the iPhones I've seen friends using are lightyears ahead of any other mobile device. A short wait for a web page to load doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me, especially considering all the other things it can do.

Any disappointed iPhone 3G owners wanting to sell at a bargain price?
              I'm getting one next week - can't wait!
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                I hope you gave the obligatory 2 references in keeping with compliance

I'm getting one next week - can't wait!
                One thing you will get used to I'm afraid, waiting, waiting and then some more waiting. I've tried one out for a week and it was a load of old tulip!

All style, no substance, my 18 month old N95 is way ahead of the iphone
                Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

I think my point is that if you say something is "really fast" and at the same time show it doing what you say it is really fast at, it is reasonable to expect the speed shown, to be at least remotely plausible.

To say that nobody should expect it to be as fast as shown, is as much as to say that everybody should expect that the ad is dishonest. I don't accept that.

To say that "really fast" meant "compared to the previous version of the same thing", is laughable.

Comment

I think my point is that if you say something is "really fast" and at the same time show it doing what you say it is really fast at, it is reasonable to expect the speed shown, to be at least remotely plausible.

To say that nobody should expect it to be as fast as shown, is as much as to say that everybody should expect that the ad is dishonest. I don't accept that.

To say that "really fast" meant "compared to the previous version of the same thing", is laughable.
                    The problem is, nobody wants to sit watching a 8 min ad while the iphone is attemting to connect, load its homepage, you type in your url, then wait. There is also the option of waiting @20 mins for it to find you with its GPS?

Don't even get me started on the mail....

Boring and laughable
                    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Working...
                    X