• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So RIP then Woolies & MFI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So RIP then Woolies & MFI

to pick and mix and screw and fix.

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    to pick and mix and screw and fix.
    I always wondered how Woolies survived previously, it never seemed to know what kind of shop it was supposed to be, other than some kind of corner-shop-on-steroids.

Comment

So farewell then woolworths,
      You were rubbish,
      And sold tat that no-one wanted,
      except for poor people,
      and perhaps the elderly.
      Normal people won't notice.

Shoes, aged 4 3/5

Comment

Do they sell good sofas in MFI? I might need one soon for the office...

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
          I always wondered how Woolies survived previously, it never seemed to know what kind of shop it was supposed to be, other than some kind of corner-shop-on-steroids.
          But it reminds me of childhood!

Its a shame that the high street is dead and everyone drives out of town....

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Do they sell good sofas in MFI? I might need one soon for the office...
            No.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
              So farewell then woolworths,
              You were rubbish,
              And sold tat that no-one wanted,
              except for poor people,
              and perhaps the elderly.
              Normal people won't notice.

Shoes, aged 4 3/5
              Could always get cheap art supplies for the kids. And cheap DVDs and mobile phones..rest was rubbish yes. Wonder what they'll do with all the xmas toys they have now?
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Before the exodus from the High Street to Out of Town Superstores, WW served a useful purpose.

It was a Jack of All Trades store, essentially a giant Hardware Store, on the high st. You could get pretty much anything in there.

Then, with the Out of Town shopping centres, and supermarkets selling the same tosh as WW, they became obsolete.

Want a CD / DVD / Books ? Go to Amazon Online for a wide selection, or your local out of town supermarket for chart stuff or bestsellers.

Want home furnishings ? Go to the out of town business park, where there is an MFI, Furniture Village, Tesco Home, etc all in one place.

WW were clearly not agile enough to respond the the changing demographic of customer-led shopping. To be honest, with the lead weight of all their high street stores around their neck, I'm not sure there is much they could have done without a massive and costly programme of developing a new business model.

But by then, it was too late.

I forsee the next step for the Tesco's and their ilk to offer even more services for their customers. Essentially, everything under one roof.

Doctor's Surgeries (already here and more on the way)
                Dental Surgeries (already here and more on theway)
                Travel Agents
                Funeral Agents (possibly done by the Co-op in their larger stores ?)
                Banking (Tesco Bank. They've already got other financial services, so why not ?)
                Hairdressing
                Health Clubs
                Car showrooms
                etc etc etc....
                Last edited by Board Game Geek; 26 November 2008, 21:12.
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  I forsee the next step for the Tesco's and their ilk to offer even more services for their customers. Essentially, everything under one roof.

Doctor's Surgeries (already here and more on the way)
                  Dental Surgeries (already here and more on theway)
                  Travel Agents
                  Funeral Agents (possibly done by the Co-op in their larger stores ?)
                  Banking (Tesco Bank. They've already got other financial services, so why not ?)
                  Hairdressing
                  Health Clubs
                  Car showrooms
                  etc etc etc....
                  you forgot cheap legal services, Insurance.

I think the Co-operative group are already in all of these...
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I think Woolies got into trouble with the decline of single and album sales and I think MFI where just never very good. Anyway people go to Poundstretcher/Wilkinsons now for nick-naks and IKEA for their furniture.

Comment

Working...
                    X