• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Teenager dismayed at losing job - is there NO NEWS in Devon tonight?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teenager dismayed at losing job - is there NO NEWS in Devon tonight?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7751200.stm

I thought there would be an interesting twist to the story when I read it, at number 2 position in the most read section, but no. Is literally just a bint who lost a job

wtf

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Is literally just a bint who lost a job
    Yes they don't show the whole picture on that photo there...

Comment

I worked on the building of them data-prep stations. There's like 6 people sat around a hex table, all facing inwards. And it's on a plinth, so no hunkering down, you feel really exposed.

I used to worry about the poor sods that'd have to work on them,, day-in day-out. The management had screens with statistics churned out in real-time so they could see if you were going slack for a couple of seconds, which two like to chat to each other, so they could be separated to different work stations, and to top it all could you imagine the horror of being forced to sit across from a munter for your whole shift?

Comment

Guys, I think the point here is that the girl had been hired and was ready to start and then was told by some jobsworth that she couldn’t start; typical manager behaviour to make the agreement and then break it. Whether it’s really national news is another matter; I suppose it’s a ‘human interest’ story, but it happens all the time unfortunately, as many of us will have experienced. Anyone ever received a call just before starting a contract to hear ‘management have carried out a budget review and as a result have restricted funding for this project such that…bla bla bla manager speak…we won’t be needing your services’?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

she should hold back on the pies
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
            she should hold back on the pies
            She won’t be able to afford them now.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

She could've earned a grand before christmas (BAH)! No wonder she's gutted

A whole £1000.00

She could have also got her hair cut
              Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

I can hear the violins playing.... poor poor girl (cry sob sob etc...)

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  She won’t be able to afford them now.
                  Somehow they can always afford pies.
                  "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post
                    She could've earned a grand before christmas (BAH)! No wonder she's gutted

A whole £1000.00

She could have also got her hair cut
                    A grand is quite a chunk of money for a 16yr old - and at least she's making an effort to go out and earn it rather than getting herself knocked up and blagging off the state.

She should get her hair cut though I agree
                    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X