• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Woz...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Woz...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ne/7741472.stm

Mildly interesting interview.

Legend.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      Check the size of his watch

It's made of vacuum tubes! Cool, I want one.

Linky
      Last edited by Cliphead; 27 November 2008, 10:21.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Baby... it's cold outside...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7465115.stm

Williams Tubes for ever...
        Read it while you can. The Americans write history now, and in their history they are always first.

The first powered flight we all know about I take it: Pearse in NZ a year before the Wright brothers, who did the first heavier-than-air powered photographed flight (actually not strictly self-powered because it needed a strong headwind to take off).

They also claim to have invented television, the first computer, the first commercial nuclear power station; all of which were actually done in Britain first. The Americans do this essentially by ignoring the rest of the world, assuming that the US was first, finding the first US date, and claiming that as the world's first date.

They did that in 1984 when Sally Ride became the first American woman astrinaut: just blithely called in Congress to celebrate another "first" for America, until it was pointed out that it simply wasn't so.

I mind all this because our children too will grow up learning that America is first in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          They also claim to have invented television
          I'll give them television, the system devised by Baird was pretty crap. It took the americans to completely reinvent it, ie. nothing apart from the concept was the same as Baird's TV
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Woz has certainly changed from his days as a celebrity chef.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I'll give them television, the system devised by Baird was pretty crap. It took the americans to completely reinvent it, ie. nothing apart from the concept was the same as Baird's TV
              That's for sure, but the American claim is based not on later successful implementations, but on Farnsworth's invention of image production by scanning: the raster, basically. Arguably this was an advance, not an invention, because Nipkow had invented the scanning raster principle in 1884. He used mechanical rather than electronic means, but the principle is the same. Then Zworykin did the same as Farnsworth, and actually designed it. Later Sarnoff of RCA hired Zworykin to ensure RCA owned it. So really we owe television to Russians (add in Popov's aerial for good measure.).

Actually loads of people made separate inventions that went together to produce television. But the Americans just pick their guy and claim they invented it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Linky
                Vacuum tubes = the septics name for valves

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

Linky
                  That's American. We say valves.

Comment

Thermionic valves.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X