• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you in denial?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you in denial?

Talking to people recently, I've noticed that a lot of people are in denial about the impending economic downturn. For many (mostly the under 35s) next year is going to be a really rude awakening to the real world.
    In the long run this can only be a good thing.
    Remember - what doesn't kill you will make you strong.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

You is so in denial you is a crocodile.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      Talking to people recently, I've noticed that a lot of people are in denial about the impending economic downturn. For many (mostly the under 35s) next year is going to be a really rude awakening to the real world.
      How do you work that out grandad?
      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Trouble is, if I say ‘no’ then I’m denying that I’m in denial, and if I say ‘yes’ then I’m in denial, so either way I’m in denial, which is considered by some people to be a river in Africa.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Trouble is, if I say ‘no’ then I’m denying that I’m in denial, and if I say ‘yes’ then I’m in denial, so either way I’m in denial, which is considered by some people to be a river in Africa.
          The question is, do you have a paddle?
          "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

I haven't come out of denial about the 2001 recession yet.

Comment

I guess it depends on your personal situation. I've got a house thats rented out, about 60% LTV left to pay but it ticks over nicely. Car paid off, student load paid off, I dont lead an extravagant lifestyle (although its tempting) and plenty saved to allow me to take 3 years off if I wanted or go and live in South America for a year or anything really.

I have a girlfriend but no wife so I can move country with ease to follow the work (sorry darling ) , although its clear that the quantity of jobs and pay is dipping currently. I think in some ways the younger, more mobile workforce that might survive the recession with less bother than those that are settled.
              The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I haven't come out of denial about the 2001 recession yet.
                There wasn't a recession in 2001. Now what does that tell you about what will happen now we're in a real one?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Hum... I detect potentially hazardous levels of smugness from this thread.
                  Must.. stick... fingers.. in ears and go lalalalalalalalalalala.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by ookook View Post

I have a girlfriend but no wife so I can move country with ease to follow the work (sorry darling ) , although its clear that the quantity of jobs and pay is dipping currently. I think in some ways the younger, more mobile workforce that might survive the recession with less bother than those that are settled.
                    So will it be like an IT version of Auf Wiedersehen pet?

ATW would be barry for sure.
                    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
                    X