• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT FRS - Which Category of Business?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT FRS - Which Category of Business?

Changes to VAT have got me thinking. As of a month ago, I'm no longer in IT, but have a project management contract. So I don't think I should be staying at the 11.5% 'Computer and IT consultancy or data processing' rate. I could try for the 11% 'Management consultancy' rate - 0.5% is 1 day's work per year more or less so worth the trouble. But I'm not really in management consultancy. Could be cheeky and go for the 9% 'Any other activity not listed elsewhere'.

I shall of course ask my accountant, but has anyone here got any experience of this, any ideas?

Cheers

OG

Suggest looking at sections 4.6 to 4.8 on their site

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

They seem fairly flexible and are generally prepared to accept your assessment as long as it appears reasonable. Note that you need to advise them of any change within 30 days. bear in mind that if you set the bar too low and you get a VAT visit you may need to pay back the difference.
    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Flip it - become a post office at 2%
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I like the Post Office idea, but as I failed the audition for a post box in the school play, due to lack of conviction, I doubt I can carry it off.

Comment

Working...
        X