• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fatal Nu Liebour mistake - not joining euro while economy was booming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatal Nu Liebour mistake - not joining euro while economy was booming

Mr Tsang, an elder statesman of Asian finance, said open trading states must adapt to the realities of modern finance.

"I do not believe in the sustainability of a small floating currency. Look at the pound, it's being attacked," (AtW's comment: you got that right Mr Tsang...) he said in interview with the Daily Telegraph.

"The euro is a good move. People have to abide by the Maastricht criteria, so it imposes discipline. Other options are less palatable if you really want to become a big strong economic union."

Mr Tsang, the chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China, is a veteran of East Asia's currency crisis of the late 1990s and the SARS epidemic. As a Beijing loyalist, he offers clues into the current thinking of the Chinese leadership. His comments on sterling are a warning sign that China may ultimately prove reluctant to buy large amounts of UK Treasury debt in the future. (AtW's comment: who would want to buy debt denominated in currency that is sinking fast?)

Mr Tsang, as always wearing his signature bow tie, said it will be impossible for the Far East to launch its own currency union until China makes the renminbi convertible. This is not yet remotely on the agenda.

"We have to mark our time. One thing is clear, this is not something you can impose. You have to work for it, with the market, and back it up with a solid banking system," he said.

For the time being Hong Kong – now a province of China, but still a self-governing enclave of English Common law and free market economics – will have to stick with its long-standing tie to the dollar.

"This is a cast-iron link to which we have attached ourselves for the last three decades," Mr Tsang said. "We have gone through rough and smooth – turbulent times, prosperous times – with this link. We have no intention whatsoever to change. Any other option is a non-starter.

"We are trading territory: our trading portfolio is more than twice out GDP, and the link provides us with security. The US dollar disciplines the way we behave. We balance our books, we have no debt, and we make sure we have sufficient reserves."

Mr Tsang said Asian states were destined to continue buying US Treasuries and agency bonds whether they liked it or not. "What else do you buy? Which market will provide you a sufficient pool denominated in a secure currency? I'm afraid we're hooked. We're very strange bedfellows, and we have to live with it."

He said the global economic crisis was the result of "sharp arbitrage" between two sets of cultural and economic systems, but there is little point blaming either East or West for has happened.

"You can say that the lack of savings and overspending in US is the main cause, but you can equally say that massive savings on part of Asians and other surplus economies is part of the cause. So whom to blame?

"The world comes in different shapes and forms, with different economic structures, different stages of development, different regulatory regimes. With a young and vibrant workforce in Asia, with very little social security, we haven't got the facility to absorb savings internally so we have to buy treasury bills in US and Europe. The imbalances have led to the tsunami we now face."

Mr Tsang said no corner of the world would be spared the current global slump, but predicted that China would hold out well with growth of 8pc or 9pc next year. (AtW's comment: only by using Soviet style statistics...)

This may prove over-optimistic. The Chinese central bank slashed interest rates this week on signs of a very sharp slowdown in November. Beijing is increasingly worried about the eruption of violent protests in both the interior of the country the export hub of Guangdong.

"The global financial crisis has not bottomed yet," said Zhang Ping, chair of the National Development and Reform Commission in Beijing. "The impact is spreading globally and deepening in China. Excessive bankruptcies and production cuts will lead to massive unemployment and stir social unrest."

However, Mr Tsang said Hong Kong had weathered such storms before. "This global slowdown is part and parcel of the economic cycle and those with an open market just have to suffer."

--------

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...ngs-Tsang.html

Nu Liebor are going to cost this country a lot - they should have joined euro while things were "booming", but the City told out of it.

If we entered the Euro we would be governed my the Central Bundersbank in Europe for our interest rates on our loans and mortgages for example.

And as if they give a damn about the welfare of British people.

Nah for Britain to join the Euro is a bad thing. (although for me it wold eliminate some currency risk on foreign investments in the future perhaps - which is good).

I'm not sitting on the fence on this one I am cynical about the UK joining the Euro.

Comment

The Euro is nothing but a scam to move wealth from the rich north to the poor south.

Comment

It's true, if UK joins the Euro it is only a matter of time before we are all forced to speak German, and have funny little moustaches too. Even the women-folk. Protect our women. Say "non merci " to Europe.
        Bored.

Comment

I find it interesting that the advantage of the pound is the welfare of British people. Looking at from overseas I had the impression the Government and the BOE were doing the opposite.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            It's true, if UK joins the Euro it is only a matter of time before we are all forced to speak German, and have funny little moustaches too. Even the women-folk. Protect our women. Say "non merci " to Europe.
            I find it interesting that most Brits are still so parochial, no wonder they're up tulip street
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              I find it interesting that most Brits are still so parochial, no wonder they're up tulip street

why is it when someone cannot make a good case for the UK to join the Euro they are left with nothing else to do but accuse the antis as being "parochial".? If joining the Euro is no more than a question of whether one is "parochial" or a "cool European" then give me little England any day.

The UK is no more up "tulip street" than any other European economy, the difference being that we can set our own solutions (right or wrong) as we like, when we like. We dont have to wait for Germany or France to make their minds up, or hope that what they want to do is the same as what we want to do.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

righty ho, so we'll all watch enviously to the UK for the next few years.

good luck

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
                  The Euro is nothing but a scam to move wealth from the rich north to the poor south.
                  Why then do Germans and Dutch accept it, but Italians and Spaniards want their old money back?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Why then do Germans and Dutch accept it, but Italians and Spaniards want their old money back?
                    Because the scam didn't work?

Comment

Working...
                    X