• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Traders betting on a 36% fall in house prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traders betting on a 36% fall in house prices

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...ther-36pc.html

House prices are set to fall a further 36pc over the next two years in what could amount to the worst post-war housing crash, according to the price of contracts being traded on the derivatives market.

Of course my house is going up in value. Always has and always will.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Gosh those traders are optimistic, I'm guessing over 80%.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

That would be my guess too, based on bringing house prices back down to a sustainable level, which IMHO is 5% deposit plus 3.5 times the average wage of 31K.

Except _V_'s house of course, which will spiral exponentially out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        That would be my guess too, based on bringing house prices back down to a sustainable level, which IMHO is 5% deposit plus 3.5 times the average wage of 31K.

Except _V_'s house of course, which will spiral exponentially out of control.
        you are confused
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

That would be my guess too, based on bringing house prices back down to a sustainable level...
          I agree. I've got a really nice house which you shouldn't be able to afford unless you earn at least £115,000. Therefore, it won't go down in value.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!!
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...ther-36pc.html

House prices are set to fall a further 36pc over the next two years in what could amount to the worst post-war housing crash, according to the price of contracts being traded on the derivatives market.

Of course my house is going up in value. Always has and always will.
            Mine, too. A couple more months and I will be richer even the The Millionaire DimPrawn.

Comment

Except you assume everyone buys a house on their own.....

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                Except you assume everyone buys a house on their own.....
                Not really. During stable times UK lenders were limiting borrowers to 3 times one salary plus 0.5 times the other (hence my 3.5). Each time they've drifted above that we've ended up with house price boom and bust.

We never learn (because we always think "it is different this time"), so boom/bust cycles will happen ad infinitum, but the above figures have historically been sustainable levels.

Comment

Not really. During stable times UK lenders were limiting borrowers to 3 times one salary plus 0.5 times the other (hence my 3.5). Each time they've drifted above that we've ended up with house price boom and bust.

We never learn (because we always think "it is different this time"), so boom/bust cycles will happen ad infinitum, but the above figures have historically been sustainable levels.
                  are you getting mixed up between how much a house costs, and how much a borrower should borrow. ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    are you getting mixed up between how much a house costs, and how much a borrower should borrow. ?

No, you might not have seen my original post in which I also included deposits.

If those with larger deposits from equity in previous houses borrow to the maximum, they can obviously buy above-average houses. But there won't be so much of that in two years time, because their equity will deflate.

Comment

Working...
                    X