• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Land Registry - House Price Falls - [B]Every[/] region of England and Wales.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Registry - House Price Falls - [B]Every[/] region of England and Wales.

The Land Registry data shows that every region of England and Wales has witnessed annual house price falls.

On a more local level, average prices in the Isle of Anglesey, and in Neath Port Talbot Borough Council have actually risen by 1% in the year to October.

In contrast, Conwy experienced the biggest annual price fall, down 12.9%.

Annual regional house price falls:

West Midlands: 9.3%
    North West: 9.2%
    East Midlands: 10.9%
    East: 11.2%
    South East: 10.2%
    Yorkshire and Humber: 10.1%
    London: 8.6%
    North East: 10.4%
    South West: 11.5%
    Wales: 12%

source: Land Registry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7754270.stm
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Not every region, CyberToryshire has seen an increase in house prices
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      On a more local level, average prices in the Isle of Anglesey, and in Neath Port Talbot Borough Council have actually risen by 1% in the year to October.
      I wonder why Anglesey?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        I wonder why Anglesey?
        Lots of people selling up and retiring there where house prices are a damn sight more affordable. Shame there's nothing there tho :/

Comment

Please could somebody tell that to my own beloved borough of Westminster? Prices up another 19.9% over the quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
            Lots of people selling up and retiring there where house prices are a damn sight more affordable. Shame there's nothing there tho :/
            Indeed, not for retired people anyway.

My wife's uncle retired to north wales seven years ago. Attracted by a cheaper house in a beautiful part of the world.

But he's miles away from his family and everything he knew, and his wife is now wheelchair-bound. They both wish they never gone. The price differential means they can never come back.

And it rains a lot.

Comment

Indeed, not for retired people anyway.

My wife's uncle retired to north wales seven years ago. Attracted by a cheaper house in a beautiful part of the world.

But he's miles away from his family and everything he knew, and his wife is now wheelchair-bound. They both wish they never gone. The price differential means they can never come back.

And it rains a lot.
              North Wales? Can never come back? That's North Wales?! New South Wales, now that'd be a tricky problem to overcome. NORTH WALES?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                North Wales? Can never come back? That's North Wales?! New South Wales, now that'd be a tricky problem to overcome. NORTH WALES?
                You have obviously missed the point.

You see, they've lost the advantage of the house price differential, which is where you cash in your average sized but expensive semi in the London area, buy a cheap house in the sticks, and use the rest as an annuity.

So he's committed his profit, house prices have doubled since, and being retired looking after his invalid wife there is no chance of him increasing his funds. It's unlikely he'll ever be able to afford a decent place back in the south east, especially with features required for his wife.

But I concede he might be able to come back to a one-bedroom flat on a chav estate somewhere for them to see out their last days.
                Last edited by Doggy Styles; 29 November 2008, 10:15.

Comment

I wonder why Anglesey?
                  Probably because the sample is so small it's a statistical error.

(if there are only 100 houses per month sold in a region, the once a year sale of a million pound house is going to have a strange effect on that month's figure)

tim

Comment

You have obviously missed the point.

You see, they've lost the advantage of the house price differential, which is where you cash in your average sized but expensive semi in the London area, buy a cheap house in the sticks, and use the rest as an annuity.

So he's committed his profit, house prices have doubled since, and being retired looking after his invalid wife there is no chance of him increasing his funds. It's unlikely he'll ever be able to afford a decent place back in the south east, especially with features required for his wife.

But I concede he might be able to come back to a one-bedroom flat on a chav estate somewhere for them to see out their last days.
                    And that's more evidence that UK house prices influence way too many important decisions in life. It's got out of control, even for those such as your wife's uncle who had seemingly done well.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X