• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody Hotmail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody Hotmail

I downloaded an "exe" from the internet at work today. It's a sales brochure but it's formatted as stupid "e-book" thingy that I think (unnecessarily) animates as you click on it to turn the pages.

I have Linux (sigh) at work and I couldn't run it, so I posted it to my home hotmail account.

And blooming Microsoft have decided that "we have blocked the attachment because it *could* be dangerous".

No it's not dangerous you bloody morons, I know exactly what it is I sent it to myself!!!!!

And what's more, it won't let me forward it to another mail account either.

Good job that today wasn't my last day at work (that's next week) and I can try again on Monday.

Rant over.

tim

Zip it up.

That always used to foil Microsoft.

Comment

..or just rename to .txt before sending.

Rhubarb

Comment

I can't believe people use Hotmail in this day and age.

It might have been acceptable in 1990 but it's crap, spam ridden rubbish now.

Get yourself a decent email address/mail server host.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Is it Adobe Flash? Sometimes Flash files are packaged as executables, if it's so you might be able to open it in Linux using the Flash player (or maybe not, I'm no Flash expert).

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
            ..or just rename to .txt before sending.

Rhubarb
            Well, yes I know now what hoop I am required to jump through before I sent it.

But the file that I want is sitting on my office computer and I'm at home now!

And I see no reason why I should be required to jump through this hoop.

MS warning me about the possibility of the file being dangerous is one thing, but refusing me access to it, because THEY have decided, WRONGLY, that it IS dangerous is quite another

tim

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

It might have been acceptable in 1990 but it's crap, spam ridden rubbish now.

Get yourself a decent email address/mail server host.
              I want web based mail (I have 4 of them).

And I want it to be FREE.

What's wrong with that?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                And I want it to be FREE.
                What's wrong with that?
                You have got unreasonable expectations of life - almost nothing free is worth having.

Comment

Command line unzip on a non-Windies box can in my experience be used on self-extracting Windies .exe files with success.

HTH
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Some client sites only allow access to personal email by using web based solutions over port 80, they block/filter everything else.

I know many pop hosts now have a web interface option, but from what I've seen, they're no better than hotmail!

I also like using hotmail when I've got to give out an email address to some site I half expect to be spammed from, or don't want to give them my proper email address. That includes agents. I know if they're sending emails to my hotmail account I can delete them without even reading them.

Keep my ltd company pop address for business or more serious use, and get bugger all spam via that as a result. The day that changes is the day I know CUK have sold on our details!
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X