• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK 'closer' to adopting the euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jose Manuel Barroso
    Mr Barroso has been told by British politicians they now favour the euro

The UK is "closer than ever before" to joining the euro, according to the president of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso.

Speaking on a French radio show, he said British politicians were considering the move because of the effects of the global credit crunch.

In the same interview, Mr Barroso also forecast that interest rates will drop in Europe.

However Downing Street said its position on the euro remained the same.

Mr Barroso acknowledged "the majority" of British people continued to oppose joining the eurozone.

But he said the recent economic uncertainty had made the currency a far more attractive option.

In the RTL radio/LCI television broadcast, the former prime minister of Portugal said: "We are now closer than ever before.

"I'm not going to break the confidentiality of certain conversations, but some British politicians have already told me, 'If we had the euro, we would have been better off'. " (AtW's comment: )

He said that the current poor economic situation had emphasised the importance of the euro and the UK but added he believed a move would not take place in the immediate future.

"I know that the majority in Britain are still opposed, but there is a period of consideration under way and the people who matter in Britain are currently thinking about it", he said.

The value of sterling compared with other currencies has fallen during the credit crunch, and the UK government has had to spend massively in recent months to try to support the economy.

'Awaiting decisions'

During the interview, Mr Barroso highlighted the situation in Denmark - an EU state that voted against joining the eurozone in 2000, but is now considering holding a new referendum on the single currency.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "We have no comment on this. Our position on the euro is the same - it has not changed."

Mr Barroso also said he expected the European Central Bank (ECB) to make a clear move to cut interest rates next week.

He said the conditions were right for a fall, but did not give further details adding: "I am awaiting decisions from the European Central Bank that go in this direction."

Jean-Claude Trichet, president of the ECB, has said that the bank could cut rates in the coming week as long as there is evidence that inflation pressures have eased.

The European Union has called for a 200bn euro boost across Europe to help stimulate an economic recovery.

------

'ave' it guru

According to the Spectator here, it's rumoured that Green was arrested, as a pretext to search his premises, because the Government is worried about something much more embarrassing being leaked.

Perhaps that also explains why the civil servant involved was not released on bail, as is usual in a case like this, but is being held in a safe house ("staying with relatives" according to one report, if you can believe that).

Any guesses what they're so worried about? Maybe it's discussions about joining the Euro. Or it perhaps it's planning for widespread civil unrest (given that the police were issued with 10,000 tazers a couple of weeks ago, and a new "civil security" force is being set up).

Talk about living in interesting times...

Here's a comment from Guido Fawkes's blog, describing the current mood in Downing Street. To me it has the ring of truth, but of course it may be bogus:

Originally posted by your bold and couragous mole and there are plenty of us

You lot just won't believe the midnight oil being burnt. Mandy is rushing about like there really is no tomorrow. Snotgobbler is apolectic with rage and foaming at the mouth. Five bellies is finished, Harperson beside herself, Blearsdwarf crying in the corner. Campbell has ****ed off in a pique because Mandyboy fiddler didn't tell him about the DG sting. The pandemonium really is like Berlin 1945 with Snotty attended by his medical team 24/7.

They are desperate for a big smear against the opposition and think they have it. However the provenence is iffy! So iffy as to spoil the value. As a civil servant passed over for promotion because of my LibDem allegiances, I am loving it!

December 1, 2008 12:40 AM
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

"I know that the majority in Britain are still opposed, but there is a period of consideration under way and the people who matter in Britain are currently thinking about it", he said.
      Quite literally one of the most breathtakingly arrogant and dismissive comments I have heard a politician say for a long time.
      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

So having wrecked the UK economy, you think our government would like to water it down a bit by sharing it with the rest of Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Jose Manuel Barroso

I stopped reading at that point...
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            Quite literally one of the most breathtakingly arrogant and dismissive comments I have heard a politician say for a long time.
            Come on now - you're not surprised are you? After all, this is the organisation that only believes in votes if they go their way. If not, then the vote is either discounted or repeated until they get the answer they want.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              Come on now - you're not surprised are you? After all, this is the organisation that only believes in votes if they go their way. If not, then the vote is either discounted or repeated until they get the answer they want.
              I dont believe it will be any different under to Tories.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I dont believe it will be any different under to Tories.
                I think he was referring to the EU, viz-a-viz Denmark's and Ireland's referenda.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Two distinct groups, in Barroso's view of democratic government?

Comment

Joining the Euro would be suicide for the UK. The only solution to our problems is to reject this failing and wasting government at the next election, and get some intelligence and financial prudence introduced.

Comment

Working...
                    X