• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women and Thermostats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women and Thermostats

Is it only my woman who doesn't have a clue how thermostats work? She just jacks it up to the max (i.e. beyond the 25 max marker) because she thinks it'll heat up the house faster...

I'm sure this is a typical woman thing.

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    Is it only my woman who doesn't have a clue how thermostats work? She just jacks it up to the max (i.e. beyond the 25 max marker) because she thinks it'll heat up the house faster...

yep, every woman i know does/thinks exactly as above
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I used to go out with a girl who always boiled the kettle twice 'cos she thought it made the water hotter. At the time I always though "aaah bless her", after we split up I just think "stupid b!tch"

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post

Ha! So it is more widespread than I thought then! Its not just the room thermostat, its the oven and the car heater (which has auto-climate control!). Oh and the opposite when its too hot and some air conditioning is needed!
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Correct, it's a woman thing I'm afraid. I have, after over 20 years, given up trying to explain why the house doesn't actually warm up any quicker when the room thermostat is turned to max.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Correct, it's a woman thing I'm afraid. I have, after over 20 years, given up trying to explain why the house doesn't actually warm up any quicker when the room thermostat is turned to max.
            Hold on there, surely the house DOES warm up quicker when set to max? Instead of the boiler turning..... oh no hold on I see now. Sorry bout of stupidnedness kicking in there. I'll shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              I used to go out with a girl who always boiled the kettle twice 'cos she thought it made the water hotter. At the time I always though "aaah bless her", after we split up I just think "stupid b!tch"
              funny enough, she is actually correct.

if you boil a kettle, the water boils and you remove the heat source. The vessel will be hot, but not neccesarily at its hottest, therfore heat will immediately conduct out of the water.
              If you dont remove the heat source, the vessel will heat up to it's maximum and that's the time to switch it off.

Do you have her phone number ?

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                One thing I have noticed though, if you never turn the heating off, just down a few degrees, then it doesn't take so long to warm back up again.

At leat that keeps the wife happy, god knows what it does to the environment...
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
                  If you lived in a hard water area, she'd be right!

Boiling will cause dissolved salts to precipitate, thus raising its boiling point. So, next boil is at a higher temperature. Did she leave you for someone with an O level in chemistry?

Comment

The one that gets me is when we jump in the car at 06.00 hours to take me to the airport and she sticks the blower on full. No stupid woman, wait for the water temperature to rise!!!!
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X