• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grrrrr.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grrrrr.....

Ive just spent 5 months working on a well paid contract in Edinburgh (best money Ive seen in Scotland for this kind of role), and was really pleasedto get a six month extension that takes me through to the end of March, same terms and conditions - lovely. It made perfect timing so I renewed the lease on my flat which coincidentally runs out in early April now...

But within two days of signing the new contract the PM comes to me and says 'I want you to take a 20% pay cut - oh, and and some holiday... say a couple of months... and what was your notice period again, its only a week isnt it?'.... hes claiming that they cant afford to pay me. He even mentioned the fact I have early stages of cancer which is a very low blow indeed - I was honest enough to tell them and it doesnt affect my work...

My first reaction - hes scamming me, so I said id need to talk to my agent, and he gets hold of the company contracts manager who is also alarmed at such unprofessional behaviour and rings me to find out who has said what to me... luckily I do everything by email so I had an audit trail.

Last thing friday the same PM comes to me and says 'we can pay you the same rate but only until christmas, not march. If you take a pay cut we might be able to extend it.' I say no thanks, contract terms have been agreed, but ill give you the courtesy of an extra two weeks to decide if you want me to stay beyond the end of this contract (deadlines rapidly approaching) and well come to an amicable agreement about a handover should we be unable to find a compromise.

Personally I know they are trying to scam me - Im one of two senior people on the project and we are on about a hundred a day more than the others - im waiting to hear the other senior guys side of the story (hes on holiday).

The project is funded by the Scottish Executive and no way are they short of cash - im just trying to act professionally while making sure I get out as 'trust' has been well and truly broken... grrrrr.....

Sorry just wanted to let off steam!
    Vieze Oude Man

Hello Mquiggd,

nice to see you pop in.

Unfortunately Benes Invoicing Ltd is working today, hence posting here.

Very sorry to hear about your cancer.

Don't let them stress you, health is more important than money.

Milan.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your woes, Mquiggd. Stick to your guns and to the signed contract and, as Milan says, don't let the stress get to you. It ain't worth it.

Comment

If you are sure in your hand then play it to your advantage -- the fact that they actually had indecency to even mention cancer as negotiating tactic to drop the rate is so low that they deserve all they get.

Comment

hang em high

McQuidd

Sorry to hear about the cancer.

Get the scumbags, but don't let it distract you from your health.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

How can a person stoop that low? I say take 'em to the cleaners.....but not at the cost of personal stress

Comment

Atos

Hmmm, Atos Origin by any chance??
              whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problem, mcquiggd. I hope you make a speedy recovery, and all the best for the future.

Btw, I'm sure it's not a useful suggestion, but do you really want to work with people who easily resort to such tactics? Look for a less dirty environment.
                Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

"the courtesy of an extra two weeks to decide if you want me to stay beyond the end of this contract" - gosh I wouldn't have done that. Better I think to have the time pressures on your side. Amazing how the prospect of having nobody to do the work on Monday can turn up some spare cash on the previous Friday.
                  It does look like very scrappy clutching-at-straws negotiating on their part, so try not to sink to their level. If people want you to lower your rate they should have a reason (not 'I want to pay less') and even then be able to offer something comparable in return. Still, it sounds like by your own admission you have been overcharging a tad.

all the best,
                  tl

Comment

The project is funded by the Scottish Executive and no way are they short of cash
                    Send me your account number and sort code. I'll pay the 100 quid into there. Save all the bother of sending it to gordon and having him send it on to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X