• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More Doom - Run on the Pound Underway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Doom - Run on the Pound Underway

The pound has been dropping steadily against the dollar all day, and is now at $1.48 and falling ..

See graph here (To get GBP/USD, click "File" then "Change Symbol".)

Mind you, it may not be all doom and gloom, as it does make UK exports cheaper.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    UK exports cheaper.
    Good for SKA - it helps improve Brittannia's balance of payments

Comment

Nah, it just closed too high last week and is correcting that. Although I do expect it to drop quite a bit over the next few weeks.

Comment

I asked this last week but nobody replied, I have quite a large sum in LLoydsTSB and I am seriously considering moving it to the Euro.

Can I just get the bank to do this? Have an account of Euros?

Comment

The costa-del-blue-rinse brigade are struggling. Their sterling pensions are not paying enough anymore.

Comment

Do people think it will get lower?

Surely the real situation in the States has not even been factored in yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
              Surely the real situation in the States has not even been factored in yet?
              The thinking is that the USA got into it first and were pounded all this year, now it's Europes turn and I think UK will be even worse than eurozone, so USA looks more attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I asked this last week but nobody replied, I have quite a large sum in LLoydsTSB and I am seriously considering moving it to the Euro.

Can I just get the bank to do this? Have an account of Euros?
                If we cannot answer, then maybe LLoydsTSB can
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Some years ago I wanted to open dollar account in the UK and it was like impossible - the best LTSB could offer was offshore account in one of their daughter companies: did not want to get involved with offshore stuff. It's probably too late to convert money anyway, better stick to it and ride the storm out then convert.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    If we cannot answer, then maybe LLoydsTSB can
                    On a similar note, do you think Sandra in accounts would like to go out for a drink next Friday?

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                    X