• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Health insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health insurance

I need to get Income Protection Insurance that will kick in after six months of illness and pay me a basic salary e.g. £20K per annum. Does anyone know where I can get this?

As an aside, I did know a financial advisor, but he was a slime ball, out to get the annual commission on my investments for doing naff all. I've spoken with a few others too, and I don't trust them either. Too unctuous and well dressed.

Leif
    Last edited by Fungus; 19 September 2005, 20:56.

yes, try gorbtonib Ltd. do very good deals. premiums are very low.

Comment

Standard Life Healthcare

They were quite cheap when I used to be with them, came out well in newspaper comparisons of different providers. I stopped my coverage a couple of years ago because I was able to get free (to me) coverage on my wife's permie flexible benefits package.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
        Standard Life Healthcare

They were quite cheap when I used to be with them, came out well in newspaper comparisons of different providers. I stopped my coverage a couple of years ago because I was able to get free (to me) coverage on my wife's permie flexible benefits package.
        Thanks but I was looking for an insurance to provide a replacement salary in case of long term illness. I suppose my title was confusing cos I didn't know what the thing is called. I think it's Income Protection Insurance.

Leif
        Last edited by Fungus; 19 September 2005, 20:55.

Comment

Originally posted by woo
          yes, try gorbtonib Ltd. do very good deals. premiums are very low.
          Thanks. Where do I find details of these people? Can't find 'em on the net. Leif

Comment

Sorry, I didn't engage brain when I read your post, for Income Protection try Norwich Union

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
              Sorry, I didn't engage brain when I read your post, for Income Protection try Norwich Union
              Thanks. That's what I'm looking for. Leif

Comment

I think most places do this. Some call it PHI. I've had policies with Friends Provident, and Bright Grey (the tossy marketing name of Royal London).

The only thing to look out for is that they take your full income into account when working out how much you can claim. Since as a contractor your salary might be quite small.

Comment

What about life insurance/pension. I have a life insurance that includes a disability allowance of a couple of grand a month, should I become unable to work, and then pays out a pension as well. So basically I pay a premium on a normal pension scheme.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X