• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop LCD shot...worth replacing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop LCD shot...worth replacing?

The LCD on the laptop finally went. Its been causing problems off and on for about a year now. Is it worth replacing the LCD? Its a 14.1" screen on a laptop that originally cost £800 three years ago.

I've gone online to look for a replacement...I'm a bit surprised at the prices. they don't seem to have dropped much.

For £800. I got a HP Pavillion dv2530 T7100 (1.8Ghz) w/ Vista, 2GB ram and 150GB disk and 14.1" screen builtin web cam and a digital TV tuner card. I'm struggling to find something similar.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

How much is a replacement LCD for that model?

A mate of mine picked up a replacement screen for his laptop on fleabay for very little - might be worth a look.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Looks like between £90-£100...plus labour..say £50 hmmm...What's the chances that it a wiring problem in the hinges?

oh well off to the shop it goes. There's one just down the road from me.
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Thanks for the tip.

Looks like between £90-£100...plus labour..say £50 hmmm...What's the chances that it a wiring problem in the hinges?

oh well off to the shop it goes. There's one just down the road from me.
        Yeah, could well be the hinge wiring as you say - tends to be a weak point.
        Last edited by voodooflux; 1 December 2008, 23:15.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

What do you mean by 'went'? Is it blank or dim or what? A new backlight or ribbon cable will be pennies compared to a new screen.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Screen still illuminates, graphics appear, but it is flickering, the colours are distorted and depending on the window arrangement/size/colour - the screen can either be clear enough you can see..or jumping around like made. I'd have to make a video to fully show you.

I have checked the internal video by hooking an external monitor..its fine. I don't see any obvious cracks in the panel..which is why I suspect a connection issue.

In the past it would resolve itself after 1 hour to 2 days...but this time it looks permanent. Its particularily bad in cold weather and I don't think my bag full of heavy books leaning on it helped either. The display is flimsy.

I'm not confident to do the work myself...I don't have the tools either. Will probably send to a shop and let them diagnose it. Probably worth it if the cost is below about £200 or so.

Any more than that and I'll just permanently hook it up to the monitor and a separate keyboard and make it a desktop. No more demos to the client for the immediate future....

Comment

Bin it. China needs you.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post

Any more than that and I'll just permanently hook it up to the monitor and a separate keyboard and make it a desktop. No more demos to the client for the immediate future....
                That's what I'd do, stick ubuntu on it or something else you'll nerver use, come to think of it that's what I did with my old Sony, I put server 2003 on it so I could do some playing and it's never been out of the cupboard since.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  That's what I'd do, stick ubuntu on it or something else you'll nerver use, come to think of it that's what I did with my old Sony, I put server 2003 on it so I could do some playing and it's never been out of the cupboard since.
                  Now that you mention it. I'll just do that and give it to the kid...he uses it now more than I do. He'll enjoy watching TV on it...and I can record his favorite shows while he's at school....Window Media Centre is great!

I've been checking some laptops and have spotted a couple of candidate replacements...

http://shop.lenovo.co.uk/apps/produc...102%26S%3D1015

and

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/my/en...5-3687446.html

Dabs has deals going on this...the Hp can be had for about £700 inc. VAT. I think its the same one that one of my client's loaned me to access their VPN.
                  The Lenovo is about £590...and will do the job nicely as well.

Any opinions.

Comment

every laptop is overpriced you have chosen

Comment

Working...
                    X