• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

clocking in and clocking out, good/bad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clocking in and clocking out, good/bad

Been working for a company for 4 months, they have 2 time systems, a time clocking system (for permies) and the contractor billing system.

First manager I had told me just to put down 7 hours a day on the billing system and to make sure I do 35 hours a week, all is fine, I do my hours, and they extend me and move me to another department.

Fill out my montly timesheets and today my new manager gives me a bit of a talking to about timekeeping, there are days where I do less than 7 hours but I will always get to 35 by the end of the week, I tell her this is how I have been told to work the system.

In the end she wants to get me on the permie system where I have to clock in but I am not to happy about this, my client has a dodgy history regarding IR35 and are quite happy to hand over contractor lists to HRMC.

So time clocking systems, should I tell them to GTF or do I just put up with it?

I'll sit on the fence with this one....

On the one hand they are being ridiculous and you should tell them to **** off, your not an employee.

On the other... your being paid premium rates and should really be putting the time in - or at least pretending to

Comment

You're or you are....not your
      Blood in your poo

Comment

I don't think there's anything IR35-bad about clocking in, in itself. It's just another way of recording your time.

If they're directing that you should be at a certain place at a certain time when you don't think it's necessary, that's bad.

Comment

I was told I had to use an electronic clocking system as it’s linked to the fire system that prints out who's on site if the alarm goes off.

The permie manager pulled me up the other day as he noticed I hadn't once done 37.5 hours in 4 months of being there, I pointed out that I only take half hour lunches yet the system books 1 hour minimum.

I don't trust him anymore.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Depends if you think you can land another job at this time of year.

IR35% of something is more than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I was told I had to use an electronic clocking system as it’s linked to the fire system that prints out who's on site if the alarm goes off.

The permie manager pulled me up the other day as he noticed I hadn't once done 37.5 hours in 4 months of being there, I pointed out that I only take half hour lunches yet the system books 1 hour minimum.

I don't trust him anymore.
              And he doesn't trust you anymore

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                So what happens if the fire occurs in the office that has that printer?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I agree you have to do something so that people know whether you're in or not. My advice in these situations is to sign the visitors book - most of the ones I've seen have times in and out, so that will suffice to protect you in case of fire and also provide evidence of the hours you worked. I would definitely not recommend you do anything at all that the permies have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by WHA View Post
                    I agree you have to do something so that people know whether you're in or not. My advice in these situations is to sign the visitors book - most of the ones I've seen have times in and out, so that will suffice to protect you in case of fire and also provide evidence of the hours you worked. I would definitely not recommend you do anything at all that the permies have to do.
                    I concur.

Clocking on - pah!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                    X