• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bangkok main airport to re-open v soon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bangkok main airport to re-open v soon

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/brea...ewsid=30090017
    The People's Alliance for Democracy Tuesday agreed in principle to cooperate with the Airports of Thailand Plc to reopen services at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport but the PAD will not end its demonstration there.
    The agreement was announced at 3:30 pm by Somkiart Pongpaibool, a PAD leader and Vudhibhandhu Vichairatana, chairman of the AOT board of directors, following their meeting.
    Somkiart announced that the PAD would allow flights to resume at the Bangkok international airport after AOT technical officials check technical readiness of all systems.
    He said a joint committee between the PAD and AOT board would inspect assets in the airport and would open gateways for passengers to use the airports for arrival and departures.
    Somkiart said the PAD would allocate a zone for its demonstration to continue without affecting the passengers.
    Vudhibhandhu said the board would cooperate with the PAD to check the readiness of the systems and would try to resume services within 24 hours.
    He said the AOT board would try to make the systems of the airport ready in line with international standard.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...393672/1/.html
    Anti-government demonstrators agreed Tuesday to allow flights to resume from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi international airport after a week-long blockade, a protest leader said.
    "As of this moment the PAD (People's Alliance for Democracy) has allowed flights to take off and land immediately, both passenger and cargo flights," senior alliance member Somkiat Pongpaiboon told reporters.
    Thailand's airport authority confirmed there was an agreement with protesters, saying flights may be able to resume if there are no "technical problems".
    "We have reached an agreement with PAD to start clearing protesters from the passenger zone to reopen Suvarnabhumi Airport," Vudhihaandhu told reporters at the airport earlier.
    "But how soon depends on technical issues. If there is no technical problem the first flights would resume within 24 hours," he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/brea...ewsid=30090018
    AOT president ready to arrange special zone for PAD rallies at airports
    Airports of Thailand Acting President Serirat Prasutanond Tuesday asked The People's Alliance for Democracy to leave Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, after the Constitution Court dissolved three coalition parties.
    Serirat said that now that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat was disqualified by the ruling, PAD has its wish satisfied. They should leave the airports which are the major airports to handle passengers and air cargo, to reduce further damage.
    He added that if the PAD wants to remain at the airports, AOT is ready to arrange a special area so that the protest would not affect the operations.
    It was reported that some PAD leaders agree with AOT's proposal but it is up to the decision of all leaders who will meet this evening.

xmas in asia is back on
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Sounds like a win for democracy using peaceful means.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Sounds like a win for democracy using peaceful means.
      who gives a tulip, Thai hookers here i come..

NB: i don't actually intend that it just made me laugh as a good response..

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much anyway. I was there during the coup 2 years ago and for the most part, people just carry on as normal.
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I don't intend to stay in Thailand, it's just the main airport hub i need to fly into to then go overland into Laos. Hopefully it's looking likely it'll all be sorted within 3 weeks..

Comment

Working...
          X