• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Government hide report damning Olympic bid - then bid anyway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Government hide report damning Olympic bid - then bid anyway

Olympics good for having a party but not much else, secret report warned ministers
    They received this report well before the bid, but chose to bury and ignore it.
    Ministers ignored evidence from their own experts who found scant social or economic justification for bidding for the 2012 Olympics.

A 250-page strategy document, signed off in December 2002 by Tony Blair as Prime Minister but selectively distributed, found little support for the claim that the Games would produce significant economic returns or more people playing sport.

Leading economists and civil servants commissioned by the Prime Minister’s strategy unit and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport found that the main motivation for staging the 16-day event should be a morale-boosting national party.

Yet just a few months later, the Cabinet backed a bid on the ground that it would increase sports participation and regenerate East London, and Lord Coe sold the message to the International Olympic Committee in 2005.
    This has echoes of the Iraq war - sod the evidence we'll do it to try and make Tony Blair look good.

I'm annoyed because I pay hard-earned money in taxes for these clowns to hose money away like this.

Olympics is a good thing for dictatorships to raise their profile in the world - Nazi Germany, USSR, China etc. For all other countries it just causes major financial loss.

Comment

I'm quite glad the Olympics will be on our doorstep.

This is because I never need to use a hospital, or anything else which is centrally funded.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Downturns are largely fuelled by expectations. Most people expect next year and 2010 to be bad. The 2012 Olympics are just what we need to generate a feel good factor and pull us out of recession. I predict 2012 will be a boom year.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Downturns are largely fuelled by expectations. Most people expect next year and 2010 to be bad. The 2012 Olympics are just what we need to generate a feel good factor and pull us out of recession. I predict 2012 will be a boom year.
          Yes, all the trillions £££££ of debt will be gone in a couple of years.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            Downturns are largely fuelled by expectations. Most people expect next year and 2010 to be bad. The 2012 Olympics are just what we need to generate a feel good factor and pull us out of recession.
            …and sell lots of expensive track bicycles!
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
            X