• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iceland now

Iceland now

....Britain tomorrow?

Will all those Anglo-Saxon descendants be returning home?
    I'm alright Jack

They can make money by renting out old USA military base to Putin, would be rather ironic for a founding NATO member to do so but seems like a way out for them.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      They can make money by renting out old USA military base to Putin, would be rather ironic for a founding NATO member to do so but seems like a way out for them.
      Russian planes are too old and rusty to make it to Iceland. In conventional warfare they are only really a threat to tiny states like Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        Russian planes are too old and rusty to make it to Iceland.
        They can be based there, does not even matter if they don't take off - there are still few left that can fly, until one of them crashes due to hardware failure.

Comment

I'd have thought Iceland would be very busy this time of year. Cheapo party bites and frozen roasties mmmmmmmmmmmmm
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I must admit one thing puzzles me when I hear statements like "X's economy will shrink 0.5 percent next year" quoted as if the end of the world is nigh.

Seeing as most economies have been growing like topsy at 3% compounded for several years, a slight contraction would on the face of it only put them back where they were a few months ago, which doesn't seem that serious a setback.

I suppose there is the deflationary spiral aspect to consider though, in that once an economy starts contracting the process tends to snowball.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I must admit one thing puzzles me when I hear statements like "X's economy will shrink 0.5 percent next year" quoted as if the end of the world is nigh.

Seeing as most economies have been growing like topsy at 3% compounded for several years, a slight contraction would on the face of it only put them back where they were a few months ago, which doesn't seem that serious a setback.

I suppose there is the deflationary spiral aspect to consider though, in that once an economy starts contracting the process tends to snowball.
              You have a good point. Here in the Netherlands, as in much of Europe, we have an ageing population, a shrinking workforce, and huge skill shortages; if the economy achieves zero growth, then average standard of living will actually rise for those in employment, especially seeing as taxes are falling. Of course, the growth, or lack of it, isn’t so equally distributed (and I’m not suggesting it should be), but it seems to me that we’ve become used to unrealistic expectations; our mature economies can’t grow at 3 or 4% per year without doing something seriously unsustainable, like building a mountain of debt or fooking our own living environment. If our economies grow at about 1% each year, that’s more than enough to provide a good life for all of us. We get ourselves into this mess time and time again by wanting to much too quickly.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                You have a good point. Here in the Netherlands, as in much of Europe, we have an ageing population, a shrinking workforce, and huge skill shortages; .

You need more immigrants then. Works for us.
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  You need more immigrants then. Works for us.
                  Yes, but try telling the locals
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'd be happy to work there, but every advert I've ever seen for a contract stipulates "only fluent Dutch speakers need apply", which is a diplomatic way of saying "no foreigners".

ISTR we discussed this a year or two ago, and people who had contracted in Holland were pretty much agreed that native Dutch people actually hate foreigners who can speak Dutch! Don't recall why though.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X