• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Replacement for Fuel Duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement for Fuel Duty

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...787001,00.html

"CARS will spy on each other to catch drivers trying to evade road tolls under a scheme being proposed to enforce nationwide congestion charging. More than a million vehicles would be fitted with cameras to photograph the numberplates of those who failed to pay.
    The Government is planning a “pay-as-you-drive” system under which fuel duty and road tax could be replaced by tolls for each mile travelled.

The rates would vary according to the level of congestion, with drivers paying £1.34 a mile on the busiest routes but only 2p a mile on quiet roads. A satellite tracking device in each vehicle would monitor its movements to ensure that the appropriate rate was being deducted from the driver’s pre-paid account
    "

Koool !

Milan.

Idiotic. Everything this government does or thinks of is idiotic. How does it discourage fuel use in uneconomic vehicles? What is the point in reducing pressure on congestion when short term thinking of encouraging population growth only creates more?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

it is not idiotic if you look at it in terms of revenue. This government is not interested in anything constructive, just in implementing revenue-generating schemes. Hence the continuing non-investment in public transport.
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

I can't help thinking that once this was in place they would conveniently forget the 'replacing fuel duty' bit! This is a ridiculous idea - the only way of reducing congestion is reducing the number of people in this god forsaken little island or developing an effective public transport system ( ) We could also discourage foreign truckers by actually getting them to pay for using our roads.

Comment

Rebecca - I've just read you tag about the one armed carpet munchers - It did make me laugh!!!!

SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

how many cars are on the road

how much will the IT side cost

who will do it

who will pay for it

a nice little earner

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              how many cars are on the road

how much will the IT side cost

who will do it

who will pay for it

a nice little earner

Milan.
              which IT contractors will earn from it! sounds like a chching trip to me!
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

.NET sounds an appropriate technology. I'll do it forra fiver (that's £5M is your are wondering).

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  .NET sounds an appropriate technology. I'll do it forra fiver (that's £5M is your are wondering).
                  well I'll make your tea for 15%
                  SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

If they introduce this pence per mile idea, how do you know how much a road will cost at a particular time until after you have driven down it and had the bill in (some time later).
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X