• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract market in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract market in the UK

So how's everyone getting on, doesn't look too bad when I check out Jobserve. Is this a "phony" recession ?
    I'm alright Jack

definitely slow but theres work out there. Lots of jobs being canned/delayed at interview stage. current client has a freeze on all contractor reqcruitment

Comment

Looks pretty bad from where I'm sitting, unless I wanted to go permie
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

i wish i had a time machine and could see what the world is like in ten years time....i wonder if capitalism still exists.....

Comment

I've been tapped up for 3 different roles this week - one was for a bank!!

I guess it just depends on which field you're in.

Chin up everyone, and remember - you own your own company. Sell your granny to keep money coming into it x x x
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            Looks pretty bad from where I'm sitting, unless I wanted to go permie
            ditto
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
              definitely slow but theres work out there. Lots of jobs being canned/delayed at interview stage.
              Tell me about it! In the last couple of weeks, I've had two scheduled PHP interviews disappear in a puff of smoke due to clients reconsidering their project, or so agents *claim*, and that's for derisory rates.

Still, at least with perl and PHP (and even .Net) it's easy to tell the genuine jobs, as each is advertised by about five different agencies. Currently there are only one or two per day though. So God only knows what the competition is like - Agents must be shuffling through CVs and answering phones like one-armed paperhangers!

I'd be interested to know how Dodgy is finding it from an agent's perspective.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                If it was for Barclays Capital, its not counted.

They churn out so many job specs, they are destroying the rainforests.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post

I guess it just depends on which field you're in.

Chin up everyone, and remember - you own your own company. Sell your granny to keep money coming into it x x x
                  Just been offered a permie role in a bank
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

There isn't a great deal out there in my area of expertise, and what there is is mostly permy. Luckily I've got a contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X