• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Potential BOOM!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential BOOM!

So some good news! Well in principle!

Have two opps for a Jan 5th start, one for an Immediate subject to telephone technical interview, and another for a Feb start for an Energy Company.

I am a SERIOUS loser if I do not get any of these!

In fact I will change my name to LOSER_LIABILITY - just so people get reminded [and those that already know - well Im still a loser!]

On another note had the wierdest agent today! Calls me for a Infra Management role for contract than calls me back 60 mins later and says "Oh the client has said it is now Perm for 65k". Twat!

Originally posted by Liability View Post
    So some good news! Well in principle!

Have two opps for a Jan 5th start, one for an Immediate subject to telephone technical interview, and another for a Feb start for an Energy Company.

I am a SERIOUS loser if I do not get any of these!

In fact I will change my name to LOSER_LIABILITY - just so people get reminded [and those that already know - well Im still a loser!]

On another note had the wierdest agent today! Calls me for a Infra Management role for contract than calls me back 60 mins later and says "Oh the client has said it is now Perm for 65k". Twat!
    £65K - don't see the problem.

I'm up for 2 permie roles (contract rates too low): one is £55K but with the best benefits I have ever seen; the other is virtually next door to where I live and is £50K, with genuinely ace benefits. Hoping to get either.

The market's not as warm and cosy as it has been. Why dismiss out of hand lovely lolly with holidays, sick pay, etc.?

Comment

We haven't even started on the recession really and you're already turning to the dark side?

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
        We haven't even started on the recession really and you're already turning to the dark side?
        It is why recessions happen, the effect is the cause.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
          £65K - don't see the problem.

I'm up for 2 permie roles (contract rates too low): one is £55K but with the best benefits I have ever seen; the other is virtually next door to where I live and is £50K, with genuinely ace benefits. Hoping to get either.

The market's not as warm and cosy as it has been. Why dismiss out of hand lovely lolly with holidays, sick pay, etc.?
          65k is too low for me mate. As much as that sounds bloody arrogant Id be wasting peoples time. Id be sitting there doing the role and waiting for my real role to come along. This would be unfair and there would be other people out there in the Permy world who would do that role more justice in terms of really wanting it. As a contractor I created a very large cushion for myself this year for 2009 so I have the opp to sit out all of 2009 if need be. I would not obv want to do that - but I also couldn't take a job like that and bugger off the next month.

Does that make sense? Prob not!

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
            65k is too low for me mate.
            At the rate the tulip appears to be hitting the fan 65K pa might look good money even at contract rates. It doesn't matter how good you think you are if your rivals start accepting tulip money then so will you have to.

Comment

Originally posted by bobhope View Post
              No - not yet - but I have been listening to Opps on a few. Never say No to a conversation or an Opp. Especially in this environment

However! Agents are really getting cocky and taking the Piss. Was speaking to a contractor buddy of mine yday afternoon and a certain Rec Agency with a name begining with L tried to pull a fast one on a contract opportunity with him Yesterday

He went through, wait for it!, 5 Interviews for a contract role near Kew Gardens! 5!!! Anyway - after the 5th the client gave the nod - what does L do? "The rate for the role has dropped by £110 a day!" I kid you not. So my friend played with fire and and explained to them that in that case they will need to find another candidate. He then switched off his fone, emailed the client DIRECT at 1pm yesterday with a nicely worded email asking them if the rate was to be dropped so much maybe they should think about interviewing the right calibre and level of candidates in future

CAN YOU SAY tulip HIT FAN?

Client emails my friend back with "What? We have not reduced the rate!!"

At this stage my friend assumes all tulip has broke lose as the Agency L foned him and leaves no less than 9 messages and tries to call him over 25 times in the space of 1.5 hours. The messages were to the effect "If it is a rate rise you are after than this can be discussed" yadda yadda yadda!

Id suspect someone today will either be fired or they will be severely reprimanded as the client, from his wording and email to my friend, went apetulip

Not sure what is going to happen today! Ill find out by midday

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                At the rate the tulip appears to be hitting the fan 65K pa might look good money even at contract rates. It doesn't matter how good you think you are if your rivals start accepting tulip money then so will you have to.
                It's not how good tbh - it's just along the lines of "am I taking this for 4 weeks or whatever till something else comes along" and I will not be putting in the required effort. I need to be enjoying the stuff I do. Obv right now I have this luxury of choosing, and as you say I may in time be forced - who knows

Comment

Judging from your posts you're a young whippersnapper without a clue and probably not half as good as you think you are. Still you'll learn that in time
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Judging from your posts you're a young whippersnapper without a clue and probably not half as good as you think you are. Still you'll learn that in time
                    Waiting for the cheap lager to wear off before heading out to round up the stray trolleys in the Asda car park.

How anyone could consider paying you 65K is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                    X