• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's Brown planning?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Brown planning?

Brown said recently,
    "So as government takes action, we expect people to play their part in return, with clear consequences for those who do not."
    This has a slight echo of the minister saying that applying higher road tax to old cars was not retrospective, because "it has been clear for ten years what direction we were moving in".
    -- that means, you do what we want, whether it is the law or not. If you don't co-operate, we will make the law later and apply it to you.

Now in the Queen's speech: lots of proposed bills dropped.

OK, he is clearly freeing up legislative time over the next year, to be able to do some really big moves to get what he wants.

Banks won't lend even when state-owned? National Bank, then. His constituency can't afford to buy houses? Then nationalise the housing stock? A fair society will need fair taxes: that means a LOT higher for those making over 30k. Maybe some new taxes? Any other suggestions?

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Brown said recently,
    "So as government takes action, we expect people to play their part in return, with clear consequences for those who do not."
    This has a slight echo of the minister saying that applying higher road tax to old cars was not retrospective, because "it has been clear for ten years what direction we were moving in".
    -- that means, you do what we want, whether it is the law or not. If you don't co-operate, we will make the law later and apply it to you.

Now in the Queen's speech: lots of proposed bills dropped.

OK, he is clearly freeing up legislative time over the next year, to be able to do some really big moves to get what he wants.

Banks won't lend even when state-owned? National Bank, then. His constituency can't afford to buy houses? Then nationalise the housing stock? A fair society will need fair taxes: that means a LOT higher for those making over 30k. Maybe some new taxes? Any other suggestions?
    Got a link?

I think he will do anything necessary to win the next election. And at the moment he seems well on track.

Comment

One thing he's planning is for the Police to have the power to demand ID without any reason and detain you if you can't provide it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Got a link?

I think he will do anything necessary to win the next election. And at the moment he seems well on track.
        Link for "fairness", Timesonline etc.
        For Queen's speech, all over the place.
        For "retrospective" road tax, I remember it clearly: Google for it if you want, or I will if I have to.

The rest is my speculation. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          One thing he's planning is for the Police to have the power to demand ID without any reason and detain you if you can't provide it.
          I heard that on Radio 4 this morning. "Intended to stop illegal immigrants"...yeah and anti terror laws were intended to stop terrorists, but were used to halt capitalist funds transfers in and out of iceland, to muscle a septegenarian out of the labour party conference, to raid an opposition cabinet member's HOC office.... state and it is starting to get scary.
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Check. When some people have ID cards, it stands to reason that those who choose not to carry them must expect the identity checks that are simplified by the card to take longer in their case.

Comment

What happens when they discover that you are an alien?

Comment

Contractor Windfall Tax (CWT)
                To be applied retrospectively (see car tax), at 50% (half each, to be fair).
                Bored.

Comment

I'd guess more pension changes. Abolition of 25% tax-free lump sum for a start. Possibly retrospective.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    I'd guess more pension changes. Abolition of 25% tax-free lump sum for a start. Possibly retrospective.
                    If my retired dad dies, will they come after me for it?

Comment

Working...
                    X