• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzerland

May have an opportunity for short (6mth) contracting gig in Switzerland (Basel).
    I've never worked outside GB/AU and wonder about degree of difficulty re tax/accommodation etc.

anybody.. anybody.. voodoo economics
    ta

you will become an employee of the agency and they will make you pay both the employee and the employer tax contributions so you end up with about 60% of your rate - and all products are very expensive in the supermarkets.

I do not wish to go back - quality of life was not good.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

That's interesting I keep more than 60%...hmm more like 70% and 10% of gross is in a private pension which admittedly pays out when you're retired but you still get it back. It might even be transferrable but I'm not sure. You are also entitled to unemplyoment benefit, 70% of pay up to a maximum of CHF 9000 for up to 18 months.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

I worked in Zürich and total retentions were 26%. No special pension schemes etc.

Of course that is relative to my quoted gross rate: if you (Thomas) are perhaps quoting relative to what the client paid the agency, of course the figure will be less, as indeed it would be in the UK if you calculated it that way.

Everything was expensive, that's for sure. But I'd have to say quality of life was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          I worked in Zürich and total retentions were 26%. No special pension schemes etc.

Of course that is relative to my quoted gross rate: if you (Thomas) are perhaps quoting relative to what the client paid the agency, of course the figure will be less, as indeed it would be in the UK if you calculated it that way.

Everything was expensive, that's for sure. But I'd have to say quality of life was excellent.
          Included in the 26% which is about what I pay, that includes the "compulsory" state approved "private" pension, that you have to pay, but it is your money and will be paid out to you when you retire, wherever you are.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            That's interesting I keep more than 60%...hmm more like 70% and 10% of gross is in a private pension which admittedly pays out when you're retired but you still get it back. It might even be transferrable but I'm not sure. You are also entitled to unemplyoment benefit, 70% of pay up to a maximum of CHF 9000 for up to 18 months.
            80% if you have to support children
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by craig_m67 View Post
              May have an opportunity for short (6mth) contracting gig in Switzerland (Basel).
              I've never worked outside GB/AU and wonder about degree of difficulty re tax/accommodation etc.

anybody.. anybody.. voodoo economics
              ta
              I've been in Basel since 2002. And I've been a contractor here since 2005. No intention of going back. When you can PM me... PM me.

Thomas Sörensen's view seems not widely shared... Quality of life is high. Depending of course on what you consider quality.
              Last edited by NotAllThere; 3 December 2008, 20:04.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Glad to hear others are happier than me in Basel.

I am happier in Frankfurt.

It's all good.
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Comparing Frankfurt and Zürich they're about the same in my view. The reason I work in Zürich and not in Frankfurt is because the work in Zürich is generally better for me, and no "Scheinselbständigkeit". I still travel back to Frankfurt at the weekend.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Having worked in the vicinity of both cities Wild horses wouldnt drag me back to either of them - also with unemployment soaring in Germany you might not get too warm a welcome from the locals.

Comment

Working...
                    X