• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie role offered, how much should I ask for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie role offered, how much should I ask for?

I know everybody will say here we go again, same question, but I will try to be specific about my details to get a specific answer.

My contract is due to finish 9 Jan and recently company head sent out a circular urging to cut down on costs and stopping any new contract hires.

In this situation I was offered a permanent role two days ago and was quoted various reasons including crunch, lower contracting budget, financial end of year around contract renewal and the need of a permanent head in company. I was also told there will be problems in trying to renew my contract due same reasons and as budget is low for contracting toward end of year.

So the question they have asked me is that how much salary will I expect if I am to accept this role.

Factoids:
    • Currently on 27 P/h
    • Contract likely to end 9 Jan
    • No savings (just cleared 2/3 of debts)
    • Last job paid 26K
    • Married
    • Newbie to contracting, under one year (first contract)
    • .NET (2 years) / LAMP Developer (4 years)
    • Graduated 2 years ago, 28 now

I am already told by pimp the market will not be good at that time in Jan and will only start getting better in March/April (as an annual thing, crunch apart).

Do plan of getting on permie and then contract again later sounds sensible?
    Should I reject the offer altogether or should I give them a figure?
    How much it should be? 27K / 30K / 32K?

I will appreciate any feedback on this.
    Last edited by w3bdEw; 3 December 2008, 17:28.

Go permie at the max salary you can. Then retrain to a more lucrative skill set.
    £27 ph FFS. 30K FFS.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by w3bdEw View Post
      I know everybody will say here we go again, same question, but I will try to be specific about my details to get a specific answer.

My contract is due to finish 9 Jan and recently company head sent out a circular urging to cut down on costs and stopping any new contract hires.

In this situation I was offered a permanent role two days ago and was quoted various reasons including crunch, lower contracting budget, financial end of year around contract renewal and the need of a permanent head in company. I was also told there will be problems in trying to renew my contract due same reasons and as budget is low for contracting toward end of year.

So the question they have asked me is that how much salary will I expect if I am to accept this role.

Factoids:
      • Currently on 27 P/h
      • Contract likely to end 9 Jan
      • No savings (just cleared 2/3 of debts)
      • Last job paid 26K
      • Married
      • .NET / LAMP Developer

I am already told by pimp the market will not be good at that time in Jan and will only start getting better in March/April (as an annual thing, crunch apart).

Do plan of getting on permie and then contract again later sounds sensible?
      Should I reject the offer altogether or should I give them a figure?
      How much it should be? 27K / 30K / 32K?

I will appreciate any feedback on this.
      Years Experience?
      Age?
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Go permie at the max salary you can. Then retrain to a more lucrative skill set.
        Cheers for reply.

I wish I would know where is border line between
        "considerable salary request" and "p155 taker"

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        £27 ph FFS. 30K FFS.
        You do not mean For **** Sake do you?
        Last edited by w3bdEw; 3 December 2008, 17:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Years Experience?
          Age?
          Cheers for reply, updated OP with following

# Newbie to contracting, under one year (first contract)
          # .NET (2 years) / LAMP Developer (4 years)
          # Graduated 2 years ago, 28 now

Comment

Originally posted by w3bdEw View Post
            # Newbie to contracting, under one year (first contract)
            # .NET (2 years) / LAMP Developer (4 years)
            # Graduated 2 years ago, 28 now
            It also depends on where in the UK you are. IMHO as a fairly junior person something in the 30s is probably what you should ask for, but can't hurt to go for more.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              It also depends on where in the UK you are. IMHO as a fairly junior person something in the 30s is probably what you should ask for, but can't hurt to go for more.
              Teeside, generally lowest salaries/living cost compared to NW and South.
              For comparison I just pay half for a 2 bed nice flat in good area as compared to my friends in South.

Thanks again

Comment

Call their bluff. Tell them you'll think about it, then near Jan 9th tell them you've been made another offer but you'll stay where you are if they renew your contract. Meanwhile nip out and make lots of phone calls during the work day, and wear a suit to work once or twice for no reason...
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  Call their bluff. Tell them you'll think about it, then near Jan 9th tell them you've been made another offer but you'll stay where you are if they renew your contract. Meanwhile nip out and make lots of phone calls during the work day, and wear a suit to work once or twice for no reason...
                  High Risk

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    Cheers swamp, I wish I could call a bluff like that.

They are expecting an answer by Friday.
                    So I am thinking to call a bluff by asking a good figure, they either have to accept it or let me leave, and there is chance of renewal (but current project only have two month's work more).

I know for a fact that their contractor budget vows are right and the fact that they have a go-ahead for a permie.

Comment

Working...
                    X