• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting accomodation on the mainland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting accomodation on the mainland

Can't face another year of hotels and so I'm flat hunting in DE.

Some of the agencies are wanting up to 150% of a months rental as commission for finding somewhere and I resent giving that much cash to anyone with 'agent' in their job title.

Anyone found a better way of finding somewhere?

TIA

PL

I had to pay a fee of 2 months rent plus VAT to the agent. I agree that it is very annoying.

Makes you not move aound too often.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

I've never used an agent (Mäkler) here due to that. Look in the papers for private renters and you'll even find them on immobilienscout24.de. You will have to pay up to 3 months deposit which goes into a special bank acount which no-one can touch until you leave whereupon you will get it back. There will also be certain clauses in the contract such as you'll either have to decorate when moving in or out. The apartment might also be unfurnished and by that I mean such things as no bathroom fittings, no kitchen fittings, etc.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Some of the agencies are wanting up to 150% of a months rental as commission for finding somewhere and I resent giving that much cash to anyone with 'agent' in their job title.

TIA

PL
        Ask around your new client.

OT and off wall but: buy a camper wagon (I have seen it done).
        Buy a flat and rent it out to contractors when you're not there.
        Specify location on here and see if anyone knows anyone.

I second what darmstadt says: if you are unfamiliar with European flats you may not have imagined what "unfurnished" can mean. Like, not only no lampshades but no bulbs and even no light bulb sockets, just bare wires.

Comment

...and also in the Kitchen....
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Hotels are dirt cheap in Germany, check out Guest houses.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Hotels are dirt cheap in Germany, check out Guest houses.
              But the OP's point was "Can't face another year of hotels" not "can't afford it".

Off-season, and depending on area, you could cut a deal with a Ferienwohnung for a good price on the grounds that they wouldn't be renting it out anyway.

Comment

Don't forget that you can also rent a fully furnished apartment (I know of some hotels that do this) where no deposit is needed, you just pay weekls/monthly and a cleaner is included. The only extra fee is when you move out for a thorough clean-up, usually around €120. There also apartment hotels, I've just spent 2 years in one, where you get a small kitchen included (not as good as the Marriott ones in the USA though.) These type of hotels tend to have no bar, etc but quite often provide breakfast. I spent nearly 3 years working in Sauerland and stayed in 3 different hotels but rather than your normal hotel one was a Gastätte which was basically some rooms above a pub. Walk in after work and be greeted with a beer and then excellent food and get to know the locals. The second was a hotel which was run by a famous TV cook but was quite exclusive but I used to get an excellent room for a minimal price and treated very well. The third was in the middle of nowhere but fantastic views from my room which was very large with a nice balcony so in the summer I could just relx. Food once again was excellent. The boss gave me a bottle of Champagne at Christmas because I was a regular guest and always paid the same rate.

Have a look for some of these places, you might be surprised plus you'll get to know the country and people and be pleasantly surprised
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  ...I second what darmstadt says: if you are unfamiliar with European flats you may not have imagined what "unfurnished" can mean. Like, not only no lampshades but no bulbs and even no light bulb sockets, just bare wires.
                  Not all European apartments - the Swiss apartments won't have lightbulb sockets, but you get a fully fitted kitchen, usually including a dishwasher.
                  And a laundry room (most likely shared).
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

TIA

PL
                    Do you have any contacts in some larger companies, I got my last flat in DE from someone who was leaving the area. It was posted on an internal web site. Had to buy the kitchen, but it was not that expensive.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X