• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying shares help needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying shares help needed

Seeing as most of you are either bored polishing the bench with your arse or bored at work, i though you may be able to offer some advice.

I have been given a bit of advice to keep an eye on a certain company for shares, and if I felt happy to put some money on them.

Where is the easiest place to view this and also the easiest and safest place to purchase the shares?

Any help is much appreciated.

MMM.
    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

I've used e*trade, TD Waterhouse and Halifax to buy and sell shares before - some may take a bit longer to setup than others. I think the Halifax was the worst to setup, but they all took debit card payments rather than needing a cash account with them to trade from.

No idea how they are doing these days, though, in terms of cost of trades - some will take a flat fee and some will charge a commission.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Ok cool, Thanks

Which one of the Following accounts would I need to apply for to buy simple company shares?

Thanks
      l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Halifax offer a decent Sharedealing / Sharebuilder service.

The obvious bit of advice is never follow a share tip though...

DYOR etc.

Comment

Which one of the Following accounts would I need to apply for to buy simple company shares?
          Usually depends which exchange they are listed on (FTSE, NASDAQ, AIM etc...)

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
            Ok cool, Thanks

Thanks
            Originally posted by Dante View Post
            Usually depends which exchange they are listed on (FTSE, NASDAQ, AIM etc...)
            If you tell us who the company is we can let you know

Comment

MMM - I've been dealing for over 10 years now and mainly use Barclays Stockbrokers, or a range of CFD/Spread Bet companies.

Let me know what company is being "tipped" and I'll do some research for you. You have to be careful in this climate as many tipsters are simply out to ramp up a share price so that they can sell out of their own holdings, leaving the share price to subsequently collapse.

Genuine tips sometimes work well though. Corac (CRA) was tipped to me at 40p. It soon rose up close to 90p, and hence would have made someone a decent profit. Now, with the falling commodities sector (it is based on the oil side) and the general fall in markets, it is circa 23p.

Be careful, and don't over-extend. Only invest what you can afford to forget about for several years.

Comment

I wouldn't touch equities at the moment..

The only shares I would remotely consider currently are solid large-capitalised defensives (tobaccos, pharmaceuticals, utilities, food retailers etc) that are going to maintain earnings in the coming recession. The market has only priced in a mild recession and based on the increasingly worsening forecasts, there is going to be another serious crash in equity prices soon. No-one knows when but the money is on it happening in the early New Year (the current price bubbles are purely froth). Many commentators are suggesting the FTSE will drop a further 25-30% to a level of 3000.

However what do I know. As always, do your own research.

I would sit on the cash (even at the current poor returns) for the moment until the dust and market settles. Then once the bottom is reached, that is the time to invest and hold on tight.

Comment

Working...
                X