• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Europe protects freedom of British

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landmark victory for million DNA 'innocents'

The police in England, Wales and Northern Ireland face having to wipe the profiles of nearly one million innocent people from the DNA database after a landmark European ruling. .
    Two men from Sheffield, south Yorkshire, who were previously cleared of criminal charges, have won a major victory after the European Court of Human Rights ruled keeping their DNA on the British police database breached their human rights...........................

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...rt-ruling.html

I don't know whether to be happy (that the judgement was made) or sad that the only way to get the government to listen to the people is to sue them. And the human rights act too, oh the irony. And may I also say well done Europe
    Bored.

English, Welsh, and Northern Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      English, Welsh, and Northern Irish.
      Indeed, the Scots already know how to treat people properly so they didn't need the ECR to remind them. Jaqui Smith should be strung up.

Comment

Always has! If you take my viewpoint...

Because the English were continually being threatened with invasion the ruling class thought it a good idea to ensure that all able bodied men could fight. There were laws saying you had to practice long-bow and the sort.

Yet this was a double edged sword, as it meant the peasants could, and often did rise up against their masters, which meant the lords had to be nice to the peasants. Well, quite a bit nicer than the european lords were to their peasants.

Living in England, historically for a peasant, became an ideal, so much so that even as a long forgotten history peoples from around the world still emigrate to the British Isles as a place where one can be free.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
          Always has! If you take my viewpoint...

Because the English were continually being threatened with invasion the ruling class thought it a good idea to ensure that all able bodied men could fight. There were laws saying you had to practice long-bow and the sort.

Yet this was a double edged sword, as it meant the peasants could, and often did rise up against their masters, which meant the lords had to be nice to the peasants. Well, quite a bit nicer than the european lords were to their peasants.

Living in England, historically for a peasant, became an ideal, so much so that even as a long forgotten history peoples from around the world still emigrate to the British Isles as a place where one can be free.
          Bollocks. Why don't you start another identity and have him talk sense?

Naaaah.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
            Landmark victory for million DNA 'innocents'

The police in England, Wales and Northern Ireland face having to wipe the profiles of nearly one million innocent people from the DNA database after a landmark European ruling. .
            Two men from Sheffield, south Yorkshire, who were previously cleared of criminal charges, have won a major victory after the European Court of Human Rights ruled keeping their DNA on the British police database breached their human rights...........................

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...rt-ruling.html

I don't know whether to be happy (that the judgement was made) or sad that the only way to get the government to listen to the people is to sue them. And the human rights act too, oh the irony. And may I also say well done Europe

Is this the DNA database that has led to conviction of numerous dead case murderers
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              Is this the DNA database that has led to conviction of numerous dead case murderers
              Yes. Like I said, the Gestapo also reduced crime. Just because something has a good side, doesn't mean that it is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Well, they clearly weren't innocent then were they? (It's OK, I see the irony...)
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Yes. Like I said, the Gestapo also reduced crime. Just because something has a good side, doesn't mean that it is a good thing.
                  If your wife or mother were murdered, and the suspect were identified via DNA from the database but for an arrest rather than conviction would you be happy to see that man go free under human rights legislation?
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 4 December 2008, 13:31.
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I don't mind if they get wiped but their DNA should be ran through the DB first. That seems a decent middle ground.

Comment

Working...
                    X