• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's so special about NHS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's so special about NHS?

An open question but one thats been bugging me for ages..

Why in nearly every advert for an NHS PM position do I see that the candidate must have previous NHS PCT experience.

I realise that clients want PM's with previous experiene in a certain area but the whole point of being a PM is bringing the previous experience you have to the project in hand.

What is so special about NHS??

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
    An open question but one thats been bugging me for ages..

Why in nearly every advert for an NHS PM position do I see that the candidate must have previous NHS PCT experience.

I realise that clients want PM's with previous experiene in a certain area but the whole point of being a PM is bringing the previous experience you have to the project in hand.

What is so special about NHS??
    The project’s completely fooked and the big consultancies are making so much money out of keeping the problems in place instead of solving them that bringing in people with new, fresh ideas would only derail the gravy train.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      The project’s completely fooked and the big consultancies are making so much money out of keeping the problems in place instead of solving them that bringing in people with new, fresh ideas would only derail the gravy train.
      Just recycling the tulip huh?

Comment

I would imagine that it is the market and the agents, not the nhs. They can afford to cherry pick as there are so many contractors available, so they enforce every "nice-to-have" on the requirements sheet.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I haven’t been on that project myself, but I have a friend who walked out twice, sick of the incompetence around him, and was called back twice on higher rates. He’s now given up and spent the last year or so skiing in Argentina.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
            I would imagine that it is the market and the agents, not the nhs. They can afford to cherry pick as there are so many contractors available, so they enforce every "nice-to-have" on the requirements sheet.
            Maybe, but its the case with nearly every ad I've seen not just in the last few months.

If its anything like the environment in local government I'm glad they do keep recycling..

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              I haven’t been on that project myself, but I have a friend who walked out twice, sick of the incompetence around him, and was called back twice on higher rates. He’s now given up and spent the last year or so skiing in Argentina.
              So what you are saying is working in the NHS is so bad, even skiing in Argentina looks attractive?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                So what you are saying is working in the NHS is so bad, even skiing in Argentina looks attractive?
                Sounds pretty good to me

Comment

Well I could ask the reverse. I was a permie in the NHS for about 8 years and last year began contracting hoping to get experience away from the NHS.

Unfortunately no comercial client will look at me despite my insistance that my skills are relevant regardless of industrial sector. So from being a permie NHSer I'm now a contractor to the NHS.

I will say this however from the bits I've picked up from my MBA about life in the commercial world: the NHS is a completely different ball game. The NHS takes on contractors who can hit the road running and are up to speed on all the latest Dept. of Health guidelines, local governement guidelines (social services etc) and have an understanding about national and regional targets along with average performance figures (which change every few weeks it seems).

They also want people who understand the terminology (some of which is in latin) from day one. They ask for this because they don't want to hire contractors only to then have to explain why this idea you proposed wouldn't work because in infringes upon this part of the national target or conflicts with the local targets agreed for one of the supporting services (pathology etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
                    Well I could ask the reverse. I was a permie in the NHS for about 8 years and last year began contracting hoping to get experience away from the NHS.

Unfortunately no comercial client will look at me despite my insistance that my skills are relevant regardless of industrial sector. So from being a permie NHSer I'm now a contractor to the NHS.

I will say this however from the bits I've picked up from my MBA about life in the commercial world: the NHS is a completely different ball game. The NHS takes on contractors who can hit the road running and are up to speed on all the latest Dept. of Health guidelines, local governement guidelines (social services etc) and have an understanding about national and regional targets along with average performance figures (which change every few weeks it seems).

They also want people who understand the terminology (some of which is in latin) from day one. They ask for this because they don't want to hire contractors only to then have to explain why this idea you proposed wouldn't work because in infringes upon this part of the national target or conflicts with the local targets agreed for one of the supporting services (pathology etc).
                    So in other words once you're in your F****** and then you're there for life...

Comment

Working...
                    X