• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC postpone Little Dorrit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC postpone Little Dorrit

For some useless rubbish on Shannon Matthews.

Why not put it on BBC2 FFS

My patience with Little Dorrit is getting a bit thin. I had some ironing to do last month so I looked on BBC iplayer and thought "oh, an hour of Dickens, that'll do nicely". But then it finished and precious little had happened, so I thought "oh well, it must be a 2- or 3-parter". That was weeks ago; we're up to Part 10 now and there's still no end in sight. What's the point if it's quicker to read the book in the first place?

Comment

I stayed with it for the first few episodes but then I missed one, then another - even though I had it set to record. Now I'll wait until it's done and BitTorrent the whole lot, sorry I meant buy the DVD.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Last night's episode(12) was looking very good from the Tuesday night preview - and had good potential for the final 2 episodes next week.

I suppose I should look up episode 12 on iplayer.....

Comment

Was it not a serialisation when originally written? i.e. it was written to have these weekly gaps, they are an essential part of the narrative.

HTH

Comment

I'd have prefered hourly episodes. Half-hour is just too short (and too many, so you're more likely to miss one, especially when they're on different nights ). So I watch it on Sunday.

From what I can remember of the plot, they're approaching the climax now.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I'd have prefered hourly episodes. Half-hour is just too short (and too many, so you're more likely to miss one, especially when they're on different nights ). So I watch it on Sunday.

Funny how the mind works, but when you mentioned 'Climax' in the context of Little Dorrit, and what with the credit crunch, this passage from the preface came to mind:

If I were to plead
              anything in mitigation of the preposterous fancy that a bad design
              will sometimes claim to be a good and an expressly religious
              design, it would be the curious coincidence that it has been
              brought to its climax in these pages, in the days of the public
              examination of late Directors of a Royal British Bank.

Comment

I am getting a little hacked off with the beeb

I am employed, with a small mortgage which is getting cheaper by the day, prices in the stores is falling - We've never had it so good.

I am not suffering, so I avoid watching the news, I get my updates from the website so I can choose which stories are important.

So now their plan is to remove anything uplifting from the TV schedule and replace it with something else to make you depressed.

If we go into a depression then it will be the fault of the BBC.

Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 5 December 2008, 09:38.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
                  I am getting a little hacked off with the beeb

I am employed, with a small mortgage which is getting cheaper by the day, prices in the stores is falling - We've never had it so good.

I am not suffering, so I avoid watching the news, I get my updates from the website so I can choose which stories are important.

So now their plan is to remove anything uplifting from the TV schedule and replace it with something else to make you depressed.

If we go into a depression then it will be the fault of the BBC.

You can always switch it off and go and do something more interesting instead... like reading a book. I'd recommend Little Dorrit, so uplifting

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

A Dickens story with a climax, that's novel.

tim
                    Last edited by tim123; 5 December 2008, 10:09.

Comment

Working...
                    X