• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting in great depression II

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contracting in great depression II

no future for code monkeys

not unless they're willing to work for peanuts

(corny I know, but increasingly true)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Code monkeys are the only ones that are safe.

Let's see the useless middle management produce a working system from some vague business requirements. Never going to happen, not a single line of code gets written in meetings.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Connect 4.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Same old sh1te bing peddled this time round I see.

I'd like to see the end of the gobsh1te BAs and the barra boyz of IT - testers!

(sorry mitch)

Comment

I think those of us who are good at patching holes in creaky old C++ apps will be in demand as plans to rewrite projects in the latest trendy language/platform/paradigm are put on hold. Boomed!
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Code monkeys are the only ones that are safe.

Let's see the useless middle management produce a working system from some vague business requirements. Never going to happen, not a single line of code gets written in meetings.
              Firstly, middle managers do not need to write code to produce a working system - they could outsource that.

Secondly, it depends on what the meeting is about.

Many of the meetings I run are specifically for the purpose of ensuring the RIGHT code is going to be written.

Of course this means keeping the meetings short, so that there is enough time left in the day for those lines of code to be written by the developers!
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Having survived contracting through both the 1990 & 2001 recessions my own experience is that people will always need coders. If you have a MOR coding language and some decent experience, are flexible on location and more importantly rate, then you should be able to keep the wolf from the door. It might mean you have to go a whole year without saving any money, but the reality is that most of us do pretty damn well out of contracting compared to Joe Public. It also goes without saying that one should have also build up a war chest during the good times, just in case - another thing that Joe Public usually can't do.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

But the original great depression of 1870 was renamed the long depression when the great depression came along.

Will we rename the great depression or find a new name for this one?

Comment

Seems that you lot are already talking up a depression and rate cuts before they actually happen. Saves the agency a job I s'pose.

Comment

Working...
                    X