PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of your agency

xodia
19th September 2005, 15:35
http://www.contractoruk.com/002289.html

what a load of bovine excrement.

I was hardly suprised to read "Article supplied by Lucy Double, marketing manager of Square One Resources Ltd and member of the REC’s IT & Communications sector group"

Anyone who belives whats been said also belives in WMD in Iraq

Lucifer Box
19th September 2005, 15:42
That article is, as they say in France, un croque monsieur.

hyperD
19th September 2005, 15:44
Oi! Get yer own image!

Not So Wise
19th September 2005, 15:51
Honestly what do you expect? It's done by an agent so it will be fully slanted to an agent's point of view (or more case how agents would like contractors to perceive them even though that vision has nothing to do with reality)

CUK really needs to find some contractors who wanted to be writers if we are ever to get articles from "our point of view"

xoggoth
19th September 2005, 15:57
Another x! Why is everyone x all of a sudden??? What's wrong with f or w?

thunderlizard
19th September 2005, 19:45
"Our contractors can choose to be paid weekly or monthly even though our clients will often pay us much less frequently e.g. monthly or quarterly. We are regularly told what an added bonus this is"

-Does anybody really value this service so much? Given:
(a) The agent's credit rating is usually lower than the end client's

(b) If (i) a contractor gets paid weekly
(ii) the agent gets paid quarterly
(iii) and the agent charges 15%
(iv) if there were no agent, the contractor would have got the extra 15%

- then the contractor's paying that 15% for getting the money on average 1.5 months early. Which uncle Excel tells me is about 205% APR. You'd have to be living pretty hand-to-mouth for that to be worthwhile

Fungus
19th September 2005, 19:48
Yep. Complete crap. A fantasy. A contractor is far better off without the agent: you can get more and still cost the client less, so you are better value for money and hence more secure. Some of the bigger companies have methods to strip away the agent e.g. get a sub-contractor to employ you for 6 months. The problem is that most clients don't want to put the effort into finding a contractor, and hence use an agent.

The only benefit I got from my last agent was a couple of bottles of cheap wine, and a couple of chinese meals (over 5.5 years). As for them acting on my behalf, once the contract ended I did not get one single job opportunity from them, despite a healthy market. He did ring me up to find out what was happening in the company so he could know whether or not he would be able to place further staff there. So that was thoughtful of him.

And as for honesty, well in my experience some agents can be the most dishonest individuals you'll ever meet. Think Arthur Daly minus the charm.

Leif

Fungus
19th September 2005, 19:50
(iii) and the agent charges 15%

You'll be lucky. Most agents get well more than that. 20% is more typical, and higher is common. Or at least that's my experience!

Leif

Alf W
19th September 2005, 20:16
I stopped reading once they used the "partnership" word.

On the one hand I'm grateful to my current Agent finding over a year's work and the only effort I had to put in was to turn up for an interview. What do they charge me? Absolutely stuff all - they charge the client. I'm under no illusions what happens at the end of the contract though when I'm just another body.

"Partnership"? Ptoh!

xodia
19th September 2005, 20:30

xoggoth I would ask "who rattled your cage" but i'd guess its self rattling

xoggoth II
19th September 2005, 20:33

I agree we need to close the door on "X"'s

Toad
19th September 2005, 20:54
I must admit, that article was the biggest load of pish I've ever read.

I'm a 'T' so I'm ok. Right ?

Xerxes
19th September 2005, 20:57
I think us "X"s should stick together.

Xena
19th September 2005, 21:03
I think us "X"s should stick together.
Is there any room for me?

Xtoad
19th September 2005, 21:19
Me Me Me. I want to play too !

xodia
19th September 2005, 21:23
I think we need to set up a CC X club, if only to piss xoggoth off...

I see theres already a Xoggoth II to devalue the Xoggoth brand

xodia
19th September 2005, 22:04
Xena, Xtoad your both in.

..if only because in joining today you have answered Xoggoths anti-call to arms

Xerxes
19th September 2005, 22:46
Xena, Xtoad your both in.

..if only because in joining today you have answered Xoggoths anti-call to arms
Hey, what about me? Or is it because I is Persian that you has left me out?

Spartacus
19th September 2005, 22:52
What did the Persians ever do for us? Da Thrace Massif is where all the real action is at.

Xtoad
19th September 2005, 23:11
Xerxes, we all know what you did to the Egyptians so just leave it out eh ??

As for you Spartacus ...you're only an 'S'. Now please leave quietly.

xodia
20th September 2005, 00:17

sorry dont know how I missed you, welcome new X member

xodia
20th September 2005, 00:20
As for you Spartacus ...you're only an 'S'. Now please leave quietly.

Well said Xtoad !!

Soon we shal rule the world!!! or maybe just this little orner of the forum.

Xoggoth, I dont want you to feel left out, we of course have a place for you,im thinking along the lines of court jester...

BobTheCrate
20th September 2005, 01:17
I struggle to understand how or why CUK could have published such a stupid, idiotic and patronising article.

Publishing such an article patronises contractors to the point of insulting them.

I don't know who was the more desperate and foolish; REC for writing it or CUK for publishing it.

xodia
20th September 2005, 03:42
well im afraid to say thats the way agents look upon contracters, like catle...

if you read any of there trade mags you can see just how bigheaded they think they are.

OK i know its a business they are running but there apears to be a certain lack of respect there

and heres anothe piece of sponcered bullshit

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002291.html

The British Computer Society sounds like a club for aging mainframe people complete with long beards, who's going to take them seriously thesedays

The Late, Great JC
20th September 2005, 07:16
The British Computer Society sounds like a club for aging mainframe people complete with long beards, who's going to take them seriously thesedays

You could always join "The Worshipful Company of Information Technologists" (http://www.wcit.org.uk/) or "the Internet Masonic Lodge" (http://internet.lodge.org.uk/)

WageSlave
20th September 2005, 07:52
You could always join "The Worshipful Company of Information Technologists" (http://www.wcit.org.uk/) or "the Internet Masonic Lodge" (http://internet.lodge.org.uk/)

Quickly runs off to touch himself....

wendigo100
20th September 2005, 08:30
I think the article by the agent is OK.

That's the sort of stuff I expect from a good agent, especially the sales/marketing and money administration, and mine normally rake off less than 10%.

Have the rest of you been unlucky with the agents you use?

Agree about the British Computer Society though. The words "heads", "up", "their", "own" and "@rses" spring to mind when anyone mentions them to me.

The Late, Great JC
20th September 2005, 08:45
Most agents ring round their client base pestering for requirements. These requirements are posted on jobserve.

Contractors search jobserve using their skills as a key. Once a contractor finds a suitable contract he/she(although *she* should be busy washing and ironing) then email their CV to the agent who then may or may not ring the contractor to arrange the sending of the CV to the client.

If the Client thinks that the contractor may be suitable then they contact the agent who will then arrange for the Contractor to attend the interview.

The Contractor may or may not attend the interview. If he does and the Client "likes" the contractor then the agent will organise contracts/paperwork etc.

Now, above is the reality of the situation. The article posted by the agent was a complete fairytale...

Xenophon
20th September 2005, 08:54

I blame you. You started it. ;)

wendigo100
20th September 2005, 09:06
Now, above is the reality of the situation.
Point taken.

DodgyAgent
20th September 2005, 10:04
I struggle to understand how or why CUK could have published such a stupid, idiotic and patronising article.

Publishing such an article patronises contractors to the point of insulting them.

I don't know who was the more desperate and foolish; REC for writing it or CUK for publishing it.

As ever Bob the dinosaur, you seem incapable (is it stupidity, ignorance or bigotry?.. or all of them?) of offering any sort of cohesive counter argument, or better way even for your average contractor to obtain a good contract.

Why dont you write an article profferring your alternative to using agents?

BobTheCrate
20th September 2005, 16:01
As ever Bob the dinosaur, you seem incapable (is it stupidity, ignorance or bigotry?.. or all of them?)As ever Dodgy ... when all else fails, please don't rely on your charm.

You're the agent D.A. I'd of thought even you could write a more convincing piece than that patronising garbage.

The Late, Great JC
21st September 2005, 07:46
As ever Dodgy ... when all else fails, please don't rely on your charm.

You're the agent D.A. I'd of thought even you could write a more convincing piece than that patronising garbage.

Oh FFS, please think before you type.