• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you make video 3g calls ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you make video 3g calls ?

Many mobiles now have 3g video capabilities but no one seems to be using it.. the network operators don't even put video tariffs on their web sites. It is not clear how much video calls cost , who supports them, and so on. . Why so. Discuss.

More to the point can you remember years ago when billions were paid for the license for fast mobile data... I think the idea was to sell football clips for 50p a time over it or so, only it was so tulip and poorly packaged people just watched match of the day instead.

A phone is good for speaking on, sometimes people try and take it too far imo.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I don't

the screen is too small.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
        Many mobiles now have 3g video capabilities but no one seems to be using it.. the network operators don't even put video tariffs on their web sites. It is not clear how much video calls cost , who supports them, and so on. . Why so. Discuss.
        When 3G was first rolled out, the operators thought that there was going to be a lot of money to be made from Video calling. So much so, that they made it mandatory for all 3G phones that they bought from suppliers to have a special "video call" button (and a forward facing camera - which in many phones meant having a second camera).

And surprise, surprise, punters thought "what a waste of time/money" and didn't use it.

This came as no surprise to seasoned professionals like me. In my time in telecomms I have seen three previous attempts to sell "video calling" (on landlines) and they all crashed into oblivion - why was mobile going to be different?

tim

Comment

imagine a world where video calling is common place

Not only would you have to listen to an agents irritating voice but you would have to look at his spotty barrow boy face aswell
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            imagine a world where video calling is common place

Not only would you have to listen to an agents irritating voice but you would have to look at his spotty barrow boy face aswell

Comment

I've had a 3G phone capable of video calls for almost five years.

Number of video calls made in that time: Zero
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I'm surprised people are not making more use of the iPhone's video. Ok, so you can't make calls but at least the data transfer is now a decent rate.

Comment

I've had a 3G phone capable of video calls since 2003 when they first came out.

I've made two video calls since then, in the first few months because they were free.

My new phone doesn't do video calling, but it's no loss, really, is it.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by eyetie View Post
                    I'm surprised people are not making more use of the iPhone's video. Ok, so you can't make calls but at least the data transfer is now a decent rate.
                    probably because its simpler to download at home, tranfer to iPhone then play on the move
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X