• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The worst 4x4 by far?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst 4x4 by far?

Up to Speed: Chinese 4x4 gets zero in safety test

From The Sunday Times

The first Chinese car to be sold in Europe has scored zero — the worst-ever score — in safety tests.

The JiangLing Landwind was displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show last week and is expected to arrive in British showrooms within months. It is already on sale in Holland, Germany and Belgium and has been billed as the vanguard of a new invasion of Chinese vehicles.

The two-ton 4x4 scored zero stars in crash tests last week by the ADAC, the German automobile club, which carries out tests for Euro NCAP. “It had a catastrophic result,” said a spokesman for the ADAC. “In our 20-year history no car has performed as badly.”

Testers calculated that a driver would be unlikely to survive a head-on collision at 40mph, and in a side-on collision at 30mph the driver would suffer severe head and chest injuries due to a lack of side protection.

“This car seems to belong in the 1990s in terms of engineering,” said Chris Patience, head of technical policy at the AA Motoring Trust. “We will wait for the official Euro NCAP results, but if it really is that bad we hope people will think very carefully before buying this car.”

With an expected £10,000 price tag, the Landwind is designed to rival cars such as the Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson, both about £5,000 more expensive. The Chinese maker plans to sell at least 1,000 models before July 2006.

Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Looks good though.

Comment

I think they make cars much too safe anyways. I'd remove the seat belts and ban collapsable steering columns.

Nothing concentrates the mind like the thought of being pinned like a bug in a display case if you drive like a tw4t, and those that don't think like that, well a darwinian process would make the roads safer; the sudden removal of criminally incompetant drivers, that kinda thing.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        I think they make cars much too safe anyways. I'd remove the seat belts and ban collapsable steering columns.

Nothing concentrates the mind like the thought of being pinned like a bug in a display case if you drive like a tw4t, and those that don't think like that, well a darwinian process would make the roads safer; the sudden removal of criminally incompetant drivers, that kinda thing.
        One of the major causative elements behind the chronic shortage of organs for transplants is alleged to be the introduction of mandatory seatbelt wearing.

Comment

Hitting a damp leaf at 5 mph.

That thing is great if you want to get rid of the wife.

"Hey darling, how about I buy you a lovely new 4x4 for your birthday?"

Comment

people will still buy it because its cheap

4x4 owners dont care about other people on the road

Comment

Originally posted by threaded

A number of years ago Clarkson proposed a 14 inch steel spike in the centre of the steering wheel as a safety device........ no on elistened of course.

People are now so complacent about driving because THEY are safe. 4x4s side impact bars safety cages crumple zones air bags and seat belts had allowed idiots to drive at speeds beyond their capability with impunity.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by xodia

You are quite correct . I for one don't. In fact I probably care as much about other people on the road as they do about me. But thanks for singling out owners of 4x4. Get a real job and you'll be able to afford one and then perhaps you won't feel quite so inferior . In the mean time, kiss my
                Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by xodia

Do you mind? You boat race, mate. It's not yours. Are you Sean Archer/Castor Troy?
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

It looks like a Frontera

yes it may not meet today's safety expectations, but if as the article states it has safety standards equivalent to the early nineties then surely in a big 4x4 those are good enough ?

I think part of the ever increasing level of safety standards is sponsored by the manufacturers as a mechanism to move new cars in a market where everything in a category is much of a muchness.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X