• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomed

Another doomed contract here.

Was told that, although they really want me to stay on, they are not being given the funding so its the end of that one. Its a research based contract with yearly funding, a really wierd setup, whereby they don't know what they are being allocated until the new year starts and it don't look good this year. So they let me know this week that I might be best to look elsewhere. Either that or really I was tulip. Manager even gave me some of his own contacts to get in touch with elsewhere. Happy to pass on the first two to any agent that gets in touch first. Honest.

On the brighter side 30 seconds after updating CV online, in billed time of course, the first call came through. With a steady stream for the next two or so hours, all in billed time. Makes me cringe telling them on the phone my rate when the poor permies in earshot don't even get half of what I get. Oh well, at least they have job security.

Being the end of my first contract i am still a bit wet behind the ears but know this time to treat the pimps with the disdain they deserve - the slimy barstools. This site is a wealth of information and i'm a constant lurker, many thanks.

Merry christmas to you all.

Conned

Merry Christmas to you too sir!
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

2 things i wouldnt do
      - take agent calls in front of client staff
      - spout out my rate in front of client staff

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        2 things i wouldnt do
        Nor me - it's asking for trouble.

Comment

2 things i wouldnt do
          I can think of a few other things I might not do actually. Such as rogering the secretary on the reception desk in the middle of the day.

On the other hand though...
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I may take the call at clientco but never discuss rates whist in the office - ask the agent tell me what the market rate is and agree or say higher, if need be leave the office.
            Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              I can think of a few other things I might not do actually. Such as rogering the secretary on the reception desk in the middle of the day.

On the other hand though...
              yes well done, but i was sticking to things he mentioned in his post.

Comment

2 things i wouldnt do
                WHS. + stop being the office Dork.

Take that you are taking the calls on your mobile right? not the client phones (substitue dork for cretin if you are). If you need to discuss contract/personal/business matters step outside the office and do it.

Not to difficult to see why you're being binned, is it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                  Not to difficult to see why you're being binned, is it.

Yeah, this site is a right goldmine of information. Not all of it positive.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
                    Being the end of my first contract i am still a bit wet behind the ears but know this time to treat the pimps with the disdain they deserve - the slimy barstools.
                    If you keep up with that attitude you are pointlessly reducing your work opportunities, which is silly.

As you're new, here's a tip - don't dis all agents.

Like it or not they are part of your business sector. There's good and there's bad, as there are in all walks of life. Ignore the bad, but develop relationships with the good and profit from them. Like I have. Agents do my sales and marketing for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X