• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insuring your car - do you put down business miles as part of quote?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insuring your car - do you put down business miles as part of quote?

Faced with a choice here:-

1. Social & commuting (to a perm place of work).

2. Business miles (for use in connection with a business).

I'm guessing it's #2 technically, but annoyed that the premium goes up a few quid. I guess it seems a bit two faced to claim from the tax man that I travel to a 'temporary place of work', yet on my car insurance try and claim it's my perm place of work.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Business, worked for insurance companies all my life, they will investigate any get out clause if you claim and you'll be left with large bills!

Comment

You should pay up for business insurance. Your insurance company won't pay up if they find out you're travelling to a client site on business.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

DirectLine didn't charge me any more for business use.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
          I guess it seems a bit two faced to claim from the tax man that I travel to a 'temporary place of work', yet on my car insurance try and claim it's my perm place of work.
          Yes but they'll never communicate with one-another.

If you have an accident whilst driving to a client why would you need to tell the insurance company that? If you drove down the same road to the shops on a day you decided not to attend your client site and crashed what difference would that make? And if you did crash presumably you wouldn't be going to your client that day anyway.

A contractor should be slightly dodgy by natural inclination.

Comment

You sound like someone I know who hasn't declared points on their licence, their argument being "what's the chance they'll find out if I claim, it's not like they'll ask to see my licence"

If you have an accident and the police attend there's a high chance they'll mention the reason for your journey on their report as I'm sure most people will wantonly say it just after an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
              You sound like someone I know who hasn't declared points on their licence, their argument being "what's the chance they'll find out if I claim, it's not like they'll ask to see my licence"

If you have an accident and the police attend there's a high chance they'll mention the reason for your journey on their report as I'm sure most people will wantonly say it just after an accident.
              Not declaring points on your license is completely different. In that case, the insurers can quite easily check your record on the DVLA database.

In the case of specifying business or social, there is no database record anywhere on how you use your car. You could just as well have gone shopping as gone to work.

Unless of course the insurer contacts the company you work for and they know how you get in to work every day
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

For the minimal cost of what they seem to call "Class 1 Business Use" I think it's money well spent. I think I'm charged about a tenner if that for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Unless of course the insurer contacts the company you work for and they know how you get in to work every day
                  They would be welcome to speak to the managing director of the company I work for, I will tell them in that capacity that it was not a business trip.

An insurance company is typically some high turnover employees sitting like battery hens filling in forms, a small unprovable theory that you might have technically been using the car in a business capacity isn't going to be an issue that anyone will bother to care about.

Bend the rules a bit ya wusses.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
                    They would be welcome to speak to the managing director of the company I work for, I will tell them in that capacity that it was not a business trip.

An insurance company is typically some high turnover employees sitting like battery hens filling in forms, a small unprovable theory that you might have technically been using the car in a business capacity isn't going to be an issue that anyone will bother to care about.

Bend the rules a bit ya wusses.
                    I'd rather shell out the extra twenty quid a year it costs me and not worry about it.
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X